Staff Scientist – San Francisco, CA
Organization: California Coastkeeper Alliance
Position Title: Staff Scientist
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Two-year position with potential for renewal.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 16, 2013.
California Coastkeeper Alliance unites 12 local Waterkeeper programs to fight for swimmable, fishable and drinkable waters for California communities and ecosystems.
California Coastkeeper Alliance (CCKA) seeks a Staff Scientist to play a lead role in initiatives that advance clean, abundant waterways and healthy marine and freshwater ecosystems. CCKA is looking for a scientist with water quality and/or water supply expertise to ensure that policy decisions are being formulated and advocated for based on the best available scientific information.
This position requires a strong technical background, and experience in the policy arena is preferred. The Staff Scientist will conduct technical review and develop comment letters on stormwater programs and pollution controls, monitoring programs, low impact development implementation plans, indirect potable reuse/recycled water, water quality impairment assessments, and water quality objectives. The Staff Scientist will represent CCKA at public meetings and on stakeholder groups. Candidates must be motivated, articulate and strong problem solvers. This is a two-year position with potential for renewal. The Staff Scientist reports to the Executive Director.
- Research, analyze and provide written comments on technical and policy issues related to water quality and water supply, including but not limited to reviewing and commenting on permits, policies, environmental studies and other technical and scientific documents.
- Draft and present oral testimony, and otherwise represent CCKA’s positions at public meetings, hearings and other forums, including participation in technical water quality and water supply committees on behalf of CCKA as needed.
- Track specific science and policy issues at regional and state levels and ensure that deadlines are met for public comments and other products.
- Distill technical information into easily understandable written materials and oral presentations.
- Create and maintain relationships with government staff, advocacy groups, scientific researchers and other environmental stakeholders.
- Provide scientific insight on campaigns and policy initiatives as needed, and assist with the development and implementation of campaigns and programs to advance organizational priorities, policies before state administrative agencies and the state Legislature.
- Fundraising support, including researching funding opportunities, preparing proposals, and drafting grant reports.
- Administrative support, including regular website content updating.
- Passion for the mission of CCKA and California Waterkeepers, and California waterways.
- Master’s degree in hydrology, environmental planning, environmental science and management, ecology, conservation biology, watershed management, or a related discipline required.
- 3+ years experience, and working knowledge of the science, regulatory and policy issues related to California water quality and water supply, including the federal Clean Water Act and California Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong technical and non-technical writing skills, including proven ability to innovate and implemen successful communication strategies.
- Strong leadership skills, and proven ability to strategically network and collaborate with other organizations, agency staff and the private sector as needed to advance the mission of CCKA.
- Excellent analytical and project planning skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, articulate and outgoing personality with public speaking experience, clear and open communication style.
- Proficiency with mapping (GIS, Google), web-based interactive and social media tools a strong plus.
- Some travel required, particularly to Sacramento as well as within California generally.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Staff Scientist Application – (last name, first name).” No hard copies or phone calls, please.
California Coastkeeper Alliance, http://www.cacoastkeeper.org
268 Bush Street #4313, San Francisco, CA 94104