Boat Program Assistant – Ossining, NY
Position Title: Boat Program Assistant
Location: Ossining, NY
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, with a flexible schedule to accommodate some long days out on the boat, evening events/meetings and infrequent weekend days. This is a contract-to-staff position. In the initial phase, the position will be paid at a competitive hourly rate plus reimbursement for travel and expenses. The position has the possibility to transition to a staff position after two months.
Position Dates: Start June 17, 2013.
Application Deadline: June 2, 2013.
Posted On: May 15, 2013.
Established in 1966, Riverkeeper is an independent, member-supported environmental organization whose mission is to protect the ecological integrity of the Hudson River and its watershed, and to safeguard the drinking water supply of nine million New Yorkers (New York City and lower Hudson Valley residents). For more information, visit www.riverkeeper.org.
The Boat Program Assistant will support the Riverkeeper Boat Program. This full time position (40 hours per week) will assist with providing timely communications (which includes managing phone and email traffic, posting content to the “Boat Blog” and other Riverkeeper media and publications) and assisting with logistics, scheduling and other administrative tasks to support this program.
- Responding to Boat Program email and phone communications in a timely manner.
- Prepare memos, letters, and other documents.
- Scheduling boat activity and maintaining the Boat Program calendar.
- Assisting with press/media outreach, research, and follow up.
- Updating and maintaining photo and video archives.
- Attending meetings with, and sometimes on behalf of, Boat Program staff.
- Assisting with pollution investigations and creating pollution reports.
- Maintaining a database of Boat Program pollution reports, active cases, opportunities, and initiatives.
- Posting, and in some cases creating, content for the “Boat Blog” and other Riverkeeper social media outlets.
- Purchasing equipment and supplies for the boat and water sampling programs.
- Researching, as needed, policy, enforcement, water quality, and other Hudson River initaitives.
- Coming on selected boat patrols and helping, at times, with patrol set up, breakdown and minor boat maintenance.
- Assisting with internal reporting to management, finance, and our Board of Directors.
- Maintaining program and grant expense spreadsheets, reports, and requests.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Great attention to detail and highly organized.
- Strong problem solving and project management skills.
- Able to manage own workload and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible schedule: Willingness to work a few long days on the water or at evening presentations, the occasional Saturday or Sunday and respond to time sensitive opportunities.
- Flexible attitude: Willingness to take on a wide range of tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Must have access to a car.
- Must be personally committed to Riverkeeper’s mission.
- Previous environmental, conservation, or preservation experience is desirable.
- Experience with community outreach is a plus.
- Familiarity with WordPress and/or other website authoring languages is a plus.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to PatrolBoat@riverkeeper.org NO LATER THAN Sunday, June 2nd, 2013. Please write: “ASSISTANT” in the subject line. Phone calls and faxes cannot be accepted. Riverkeeper is AA/EEO employer. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
20 Secor Road, Ossining, NY 10562