Sector Advisor – Ethiopia
Organization: Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
Position Title: Sector Advisor
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. No salary information posted.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2013.
Posted On: April 15, 2013.
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is the world’s newest international organization. Headquartered in Seoul, it is a new kind of international organization – interdisciplinary, multistakeholder and driven by the priorities of emerging and developing economies – established by an initial group of eighteen governments pursuant to a treaty signed at the United Nations Rio+20 conference in June 2012.
GGGI is dedicated to helping government and industry pioneer and diffuse a new model of economic growth, known as “green growth,” that integrates strong economic and environmental performance in such areas as poverty reduction, job creation and social inclusion as well as mitigation and adaptation to climate change, biodiversity loss and energy and water security. Its approach is particularly suited to developing countries, because it starts from the premise that growth is an essential ingredient in economic and human development.
GGGI’s theory of change leads it to focus on three major outcomes: adoption and implementation of analytically rigorous green growth plans that form the core of national and provincial economic development strategies in emerging and developing economies; research which builds a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; and public-private partnerships that enable the scaling of resource-efficient investment, innovation and practice in key industry sectors as well as the engagement of companies in the implementation of national and subnational green growth plans.
GGGI is already providing technical and capacity building support to over a dozen governments which are seeking to capitalize on the potential co-benefits of strong socioeconomic and environmental progress as well as gain better access to the public and private finance and technology that can help place their economies on a more sustainable and resilient development pathway. It has launched several cutting-edge research and public-private partnerships with leading international institutions. The organization’s strategic plan envisions considerable growth over the next three years.
As a climate specialist with experience in at least one sector (i.e. agriculture, food security, forestry/land, energy, water infrastructure, and urban), you will work with the federal line ministries and regional governments to put in place comprehensive investment plans for emissions reduction and climate vulnerability.
- Supporting the Environmental Unit of a particular sector (energy, water, etc.) within the Ethiopian government
- Developing investment plans for delivering vulnerability and emissions reductions
- Facilitating the dialogue between the sector and the Environmental Protection Authority
- Coordinating climate policy at a sector level
- Facilitating the financing and implementation of investment plans
- Undergraduate degree
- Appreciation of the development finance system, including the architecture and institutions of the aid system
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of a broad range of green growth issues and appreciate the role of strategic planning in organizing environmental policy
- Exceptional project management skills
- Ability to build and maintain a dynamic network of contacts
- Experience of working in a developing country
- Strong influencing and diplomatic skills
- Proven track record of delivering complex processes
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should apply by May 31, 2013 to email@example.com (including position number GGGI-HR_13-109) in subject line is a MUST). GGGI will only contact candidates with whom GGGI wants to have further discussions.
Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), http://www.gggi.org
19th Floor Jeongdong Building, 15-5 Jeong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-784, Korea