Clean Transportation Intern, Municipal Programs – San Francisco, CA
Organization: SF Environment
Position Title: Clean Transportation Intern, Municipal Programs
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: Minimum of 20 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: Start around June 30, 2013. 3-6 month internship.
Application Deadline: June 7, 2013.
Posted On: May 21, 2013.
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to promote innovative policies and programs to protect the urban and natural environment, promote social equity and expand the green economy. SF Environment programs include Zero Waste/Recycling, Climate, Green Building, Energy Efficiency and Renewables, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Urban Agriculture, Clean Transportation, Urban Forest, and Public Information Programs. The Clean Transportation Program works to improve air quality in San Francisco, primarily by reducing vehicle emissions, and working with businesses and other local and regional agencies to promote trip reduction. For more information on SF Environment and the Clean Transportation Program, visit SFEnvironment.org/commutesmart.
This internship will focus on campaign development, strategy and implementation for the City’s CommuteSmart programs. This division works directly with 60 City departments and their 27,000 employees to promote sustainable commute and work travel options.
Recently, CommuteSmart projects include a comprehensive survey of City employee commuting and at-work travel behaviors and coordination of departmental Transit First action plans.
As an intern, you will help develop targeted outreach campaigns. You’ll assist with the review of the Transit First plans and the analysis of the survey results. Other activities include drafting action plans, updating departmental database information, distributing materials, developing informational resources, stakeholder engagement and outreach.
- Review transportation survey responses and Transit First plans
- Assist with the development and implementation of the 2013 Municipal campaign to encourage the use of sustainable transportation modes (walking, biking, transit, carpool) for commuting to work and traveling at work
- Attend and participate in information gathering meetings with City departments
- Conduct focused outreach such as email, phone call, tabling, presentations
- Ongoing analysis and outreach assistance
- Currently enrolled college/university junior, senior or graduate student majoring in urban planning, environmental studies or communications at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates of these programs are also encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel, Access and database management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional office environment
- Detail-oriented and flexible, able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, etc.) and Google Docs
- Ability to assist with evening and weekend events
How to Apply:
Applicants must be a currently enrolled college/university junior, senior or graduate student majoring in urban planning, environmental studies or communications at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates of these programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Submit a cover letter (1 page max.) stating:
- Your interest in working on City and County of San Francisco on commuter transportation programs
- Experience relevant to this position
- Examples of initiative and/or a fresh approach to an existing system
Send the above documents and information to:
RE: Municipal Campaign Internship
SF Environment, http://www.sfenvironment.org
1455 Market Street, Suite 1200, San Francisco, CA 94103