Eastern Grassroots Organizer
Organization: Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
Position Title: Eastern Grassroots Organizer
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Posted On: June 1, 2013.
Since 1983, SUWA has been the only independent organization working full-time to defend America’s redrock wilderness from oil and gas development, unnecessary road construction, rampant off-road vehicle use, and other threats to Utah’s wilderness-quality lands.
The Eastern Grassroots Organizer works to advance the goal of building and maintaining cohesive Eastern and National support for SUWA’s congressional and administrative efforts to protect Utah’s wilderness lands. Working closely with the Legislative Director and Legislative Assistant, this person will plan and implement direct organizing activities in targeted congressional districts in the eastern United States, develop and maintain a grassroots network in these states, and work cooperatively with staff and volunteers in other parts of the country on these goals. S/he will also develop educational outreach materials, coordinate with grassroots and legislative staff with other wilderness advocacy organizations, and contribute occasionally to congressional advocacy fly-ins and events.
This position requires a willingness to travel regularly, at least once a month for no more than a week at a time.
- Coordinate closely with Legislative Director and Legislative Assistant in creation of national grassroots strategy for remainder of the 113th Congress and for the 114th Congress, as well as assisting with the implementation of strategies for engaging the Obama administration
- Plan and implement Utah wilderness slideshows and tabling events in targeted congressional districts in the eastern United States in order to cultivate new Utah activists, engaging established “super-volunteers” in the process.
- Help organize activist recruitment, activist trainings, and logistics for wild Utah lobby days in Washington, D.C., one or two times per year
- Coordinate with our Utah and Midwestern Organizers on regular national and targeted email alerts and updates on legislative and administrative issues in order to create an engaged national membership
- Cultivate super volunteers in strategic congressional districts through regular phone and web communication on legislative matters affecting public lands in Utah
- Travel on a monthly basis for grassroots events throughout the country
- Coordinate regularly with grassroots directors at member organizations of the Utah Wilderness Coalition on legislative action, in order to optimize grassroots resources
- Prepare and disseminate grassroots educational materials on congressional/administrative action on wild Utah
- Assist occasionally with delivering of materials to or direct advocacy or congressional offices
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Self-motivated and committed to the preservation of wilderness
- Experience in and enthusiasm for grassroots and netroots organizing strongly preferred
- Experience in environmental/wilderness issues or with Congress is preferred, but not required
How to Apply:
Send a resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample to Jen Beasley Ujifusa, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, http://www.suwa.org
Main Office: 425 East 100 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84111 (801) 486-3161
Washington, D.C. Office: 122 C Street NW, Suite 240, Washington, D.C. 20001 (202) 259-5440