Environmental Research Intern – Takoma Park, MD
Organization: Interfaith Youth for Climate Justice
Position Title: Environmental Research Intern
Location: Tacoma Park, MD
Hours & Compensation: 15 hours/week. Salary based on experience and length of commitment. College grads will receive higher than minimum wage.
Position Dates: Minimum 3 month commitment. 6 months preferred.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 3, 2013.
Our purpose is inspire and equip high school youth of faith to take action for climate justice in their families, communities, and congregations so that our society will become increasingly sustainable and just for all people. Through a year-long program, IYCJ creates a diverse, interfaith learning community in which teens:
- Connect with nature
- Explore the environmental teachings of their faith
- Examine environmental and social issues related to climate change, and
- Engage in action projects
We recognize the disproportionate impact climate change has on communities of color and other marginalized groups. We believe that a diversity of youth, motivated by their faith, can make powerful contributions to the climate justice movement.
We are a project of the Community Foundation of the National Capital Region and we work in partnership with Interfaith Power and Light, MD-DC-NoVa.
Intern will assist with any of the following, based on interest and experience:
- Measuring impact on greenhouse gas emissions of changes made by IYCJ, youth, and families
- Researching/creating carbon footprint survey relevant to teenagers
- Researching/creating personal action pledges on various climate issues
- Researching local, state, or national policy campaigns to which IYCJ youth can contribute
- Collecting different faith statements on stewardship and climate change
- Data entry
- Research on local congregations
- Assist with logistics for outreach events, monthly meetings, and retreats
- Contribute to Facebook, website, and other social media
- Publicity and promotion of various events
Applicants must have the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to environmental issues, particularly climate change
- Commitment to any religious or faith tradition and ability to work with people from a diversity of religious traditions
- Availability to work flexible hours (10-15 hours per week), attend some meetings in takoma Park during business hours, some weekends for service days and events
Strong candidates will have some combination of:
- College degree
- Experience working on event publicity and promotion through social media
- Experience organizing logistics for large conferences, events, or service days
- Experience communicating or working with different faith traditions
- Demonstrated commitment to social change, experience with action or advocacy campaigns ideal
- Experience working or volunteering in a multicultural community or organization
- Experience exploring racial justice at personal and community levels
- Connection to local congregation or faith community preferred
- Excellent attention to detail
- Technologically savvy, basic office software, social networking media.
How to Apply:
Send a resume and email to: info@IYCJ.org.
Interfaith Youth for Climate Justice, http://www.IYCJ.org
6930 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912