Water Initiative Program Assistant – Washington, DC
Organization: Forest Trends
Position Title: Water Initiative Program Assistant
Location: Washington, DC
Hours & Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: June 21, 2013.
Posted On: June 6, 2013.
Forest Trends’ mission is to maintain, restore, and enhance forests and connected natural ecosystems that provide life-sustaining processes. We do this by promoting incentives that stem from a broad range of ecosystem services and products that work for conservation and people. Forest Trends’ Water Initiative aims to harness markets and incentives to protect ecosystems services that are crucial to addressing the global water crisis, under a broad spectrum of programs called investments in watershed services (ISW). We support and develop a portfolio of demonstration projects in Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Mexico, China, and Ghana; advance information and developing practical tools around the scientific, financial, and policy elements necessary for achieving success in optimizing watershed management; and facilitate transformative dialogue and dissemination of effective models of IWS within a global community of practitioners, decision-makers, and thought leaders. For more information on Forest Trends and the Water Initiative, please visit www.forest-trends.org and www.watershedconnect.org.
The Water Initiative is seeking a well-organized, task-oriented individual to support a systematic review, re-organization, and implementation of our global outreach strategy, with the goal of leveraging work in our portfolio, our analytical toolbox, and the efforts of our partners and allies, to scale up the impact of IWS around the world. To do this, the Initiative must be successful in harnessing limited resources to engage a range of actors, including IWS practitioners, water utility operators, local government officials, water regulators, environmental authorities, civil and environmental engineers, development banks, hydrologists, large water users in the private sector, Integrated Water Resource Management experts, and the stakeholders of these groups.
- Support strategic development of global outreach strategy through research and analysis;
- Support organization and creative execution of global outreach strategy, using a variety of tools including social media;
- Support facilitation of community of practice around IWS, including through the preparation, coordination, and execution of webinars and regional meetings/workshops;
- Provide reporting and/or grant-writing support as relevant; and
- Provide general coordination support to the Water Initiative team and international partners.
- Masters degree or equivalent experience
- Exceptional communication skills, with ability to present technical information succinctly to a wide audience
- Familiarity with and interest in sustainable watershed management; degree in natural resource economics, environmental policy, environmental or civil engineering, or environmental science preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and online communication and outreach tools
- Experience in WASH sector, local governments, agriculture, and/or energy fields a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or Portuguese a plus
- Graphic design skills and GIS skills a plus
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a cover letter by June 21, 2013 to email@example.com. Please reference “Water Initiative Program Assistant” in the subject line.
Forest Trends, http://www.forest-trends.org
1203 19th Street NW, Washington, DC 20036