REDD+ Finance Associate – Washington, DC
Organization: Forest Trends
Position Title: REDD+ Finance Associate
Location: Washington, DC
Hours & Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Posted On: June 6, 2013.
Forest Trends’ mission is to maintain, restore, and enhance forests and connected natural ecosystems that provide life-sustaining processes. We do this by promoting incentives that stem from a broad range of ecosystem services and products that work for conservation and people.
About Forest Trends’ REDD+ Finance Tracking Initiative:
While high level REDD+ commitments are in the billions of dollars, little is known about where funding is allocated, what roadblocks are involved in disbursing funds and how these funds are then utilized in recipient countries. Forest Trends is tracking these funds from high-level donor commitments all the way down to how and when these are spent on the ground.
To do this, Forest Trends works with local organizations in thirteen REDD+ countries to collect financial information on levels of funding committed, disbursed and expended as well as the types of REDD+ activities receiving funding. Forest Trends recently launched the data collected from four countries on a newly developed database and website: reddx.forest-trends.org.
- Training Forest Trends’ global network of partner organizations to collect information on national REDD+ finance
- Analyzing, reviewing and evaluating REDDX data submitted by thirteen countries across Latin America, Africa, and Asia Pacific
- Developing REDDX data collection tools, storage and management
- Researching climate finance and REDD+ commitments for data forecasting
- Researching climate funds, financing pathways and broader REDD+ architecture
- Analyzing the impact of REDDX in collaboration with global project partners
- Preparing data for online presentation through REDDX
- Researching infographics and ways in which to present complex information clearly
- Coordinating between the Forest Trade and Finance Program, graphic and web designers
- Coordinating the development of REDDX to include additional language versions of the site
Coordinating REDDX events and products
- Reviewing and editing national country reports
- Planning travel, conferences, and advisory committee meetings
- Monitoring and administering contracts and invoices with global project partners
- And other tasks that may arise…
- Masters level graduate degree in environmental science, geography, economics, or international developent
- Interest in climate change, conservation finance, and basic knowledge of REDD+
- Demonstrated understanding of international climate financing processes, including the World Bank’s FOrest Carbon Partnership Facility and the Forest Investment Program as well as the UN REDD Programme.
- Proven experience working with diverse cultures including civil society organizations in Latin America, Africa, and Asia
- Attention to detail and willingness/interest to work with financial figures
- Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills
- Understanding of survey and statistical methods a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment, but also to work well with minimum mangement
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French required
- Portuguese language skills a plus
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Outlook and ability to learn new program and databases quickly
- Willingness to travel
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and short (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com. The subject line of the email must read: “Associate – REDD+ Finance”.
Forest Trends, http://www.forest-trends.org
1203 19th Street NW, Washington, DC 20036