Grassroots Director – Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Position Title: Grassroots Director
Location: Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. No salary information provided.
Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
Posted On: June 11, 2013.
Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society’s environmental choices. To ensure our independence,we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org.
Greenpeace seeks a creative, strategic, and dynamic Grassroots Director to guide the organization’s efforts to organize and mobilize the environmental movement. Greenpeace has been a leading force in the field of organizing, and is looking for someone to continue innovating and building our grassroots power. The Greenpeace Grassroots Department aims to mobilize volunteers on key issues that will build long-term grassroots capacity to shift the balance of power away from corporations and into the hands of people to achieve ambitious global campaign goals.
The Grassroots Director will help to further develop our organizing model and prioritize our on-the-ground grassroots initiatives. Directing a divers and talented team of 30 across 12 locations nationally, this person will continue to ensure our cutting edge approach and tried and true grassroots organizing techniques continue to align with organizational goals and changing environmental needs. This position spans both strategy and supporting staff on-the-ground in grassroots organizing to ensure high-quality and effective programs. The Grassroots Director reports to the Director of Public Outreach and will serve on the Senior Management Team, working closely with the Directors of Development, Online Strategy, Campaigns, and Communications to develop an integrated program to win campaigns, engage supporters and build the organization’s support base in light of the organization’s tactical and strategic objectives.
- Oversee all grassroots work, including student organizing, field organizing, online-to-on-the-ground work, and campaigning through the canvass
- Synchronize work among the Grassroots Department programs and collaborate with the Campaigns Department to develop and execute plans that make significant contributions to the campaign work, engage and expand our base, and build power over the long term
- Work with program managers to set objectives for each program and regularly evaluate each program’s work
- Support the creation and implementation of strategies for activist and volunteer development
- Serve as a Senior Management Team member, helping to guide large decisions for the organization and aligning the Grassroots Department with organizational goals and objectives
- Determine annual budgets and staffing levels in conjunction with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team
- Foster a transparent, inclusive, and open atmosphere on the team across the country
- Broadcast successes, abilities and resources of the Grassroots Department to the rest of the organization, and work to integrate grassroots work with the work of other departments
- Visit sites in order to evaluate programs and provide training and assistance to Grassroots staff across the country
- Develop and maintain relationships with global colleagues to support initiatives lead by the Greenpeace global mobilization team
- A minimum of 10 years experience managing grassroots work, including field work, online organizing, and student organizing, experience working on-the-ground as an organizer
- Experience in campaign planning, particularly developing grassroots campaigns with the ability to adapt and innovate new organizing techniques to most effectively reach organizational and departmental goals both on-the-ground and utilizing social networking
- Proven ability to build a highly effective team including staff, activists and volunteers, with a priority on diversity
- Exceptional departmental leader with strong management experience leading highly-skilled, diverse and remote teams; Experience building and managing a departmental budget also required
- Skilled project manager with ability to multi-task and who thrives in fast-paced, deadline driven environment, keeping track of a lot of moving parts while incorporating the big picture
- Excellent cross-departmental planning skills with the ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams, set and review goals, assess risks and outcomes, and analyse data
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience in cross-cultural settings and global experiences
- Commitment to non-violence as a means of affecting change and supportive of non-partisan approaches to advocacy
- Ability to travel approximately 25%
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Ebony Twilley, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Washington, DC Office: 702 H Street NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20001
San Francisco Office: 1661 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103