Bioenergy Policy Analyst – Washington, DC
Organization: Friends of the Earth (FOE)
Position Title: Bioenergy Policy Analyst
Location: Washington, DC
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
Friends of the Earth is seeking a talented and dedicated individual to lead an educational campaign on bioenergy and gear up for significant rulemaking and EPA activity on bioenergy policy throughout 2013. The campaign is focused on curbing the use of first generation biofuels, including corn and sugar cane ethanol, ensuring that any future biofuels are truly sustainable, and making sure that the use of biomass for electricity includes environmental safeguards. The bioenergy policy analyst will be housed within Friends of the Earth’s economic policy team.
- Work with Friends of the Earth’s tax analyst and the director of the economic policy team to develop and implement campaign strategy;
- Analyze legislative and administrative actions on bioenergy policy;
- Develop and write compelling policy reports, fact sheets, blog posts and other advocacy materials;
- Liaise with organizations within the environmental community and other interested stakeholders;
- Lead Friends of the Earth’s bioenergy advocacy to members of Congress, the administration and outside opinion leaders;
- Represent Friends of the Earth on bioenergy to the media and the public; and
- Keep abreast of developments on bioenergy policy and technology.
- Four or more years of experience in policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental), organizing or legislative work at the federal or state level. An advanced degree in a suitable related field such as law, economics, agriculture, forestry or energy policy may be counted towards this experience.
- The ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, convening/organizing, policy development, and research, as well as to serve as a spokesperson for the organization with media and coordinate with development staff;
- Knowledge of U.S. biofuels and bioenergy policy;
- Experience in quantitative analysis, including statistics;
- Experience with GIS or similar is preferred; and
- Knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch process is preferred.
How to Apply:
E-mail cover letter, resume, short writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Bioenergy policy analyst.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth US, http://www.foe.org
1100 15th Street NW, 11th Floor, Washington, DC 20005