Land Conservation Manager – State College, PA
Organization: ClearWater Conservancy
Position Title: Land Conservation Manager
Location: State College, PA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time exempt. Generally 8:30 – 5:30, with flexibility for earlier or later meeting times and/or weekend commitments. Salary based on skills and experience.
Application Deadline: June 24, 2013, or until position is filled.
Posted On: June 13, 2013.
ClearWater Conservancy is a nonprofit land trust that promotes the conservation and restoration of natural resources in central Pennsylvania through land conservation, water resource protection, and environmental outreach and education in the community. We are accredited by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission and have protected over 4,865 acres of land through conservation easements, fee ownership, and conservation partnerships resulting in public ownership of unique habitats and landscapes. Learn more about ClearWater Conservancy at www.clearwaterconservancy.org and clearwaterconservancy.ning.com.
The Land Conservation Manager works directly with the Executive Director, Conservation Biologist, and our volunteer-driven Land Conservation and Stewardship Committee to ensure the timely and smooth operation of all aspects of the Land Conservation Program.
- Strategically identify and prioritize conservation lands through the ClearWater Conservancy strategic planning process.
- Develop a strategy to inform landowners of conservation options.
- Guide landowners through all aspects of conservation easement and land acquisition processes.
- Develop and update policies and procedures for all aspects of the Land Conservation Program.
- Develop the Land Conservation program budget for presentation to the Executive Director.
- Perform monitoring of conserved lands, at a minimum, in compliance with the latest version of the Land Trust Alliance’s Standards and Practices, responding in a timely manner to suspected, threatened, or actual conservation easement violations.
- Maintain positive relationships with owners of properties protected by ClearWater Conservancy.
- Organize and maintain the Land Conservation Program files in paper and electronic formats.
- Coordinate Land Conservation Program volunteer activities.
- Act as staff liaison to the Land Conservation and Stewardship committee.
- Review and maintain compliance with the latest version of the Land Trust Alliance’s Standards and Practices.
- Coordinate ClearWater Conservancy’s re-accreditation activities.
- Provide lead support for communications related to the Land Conservation Program
- Pursue grant and foundation funding for land conservation projects; and engage in fundraising, as appropriate, for the Land Conservation Program.
- Various other tasks as requested by the Executive Director.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in a natural resource management, environmental science, geography, or related field and at least two years experience in land conservation work is preferred.
- Clearly demonstrated experience and skills related to the performance of the job responsibilities.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and write conservation easements and other legal documents.
- Knowledge of real estate transactions is desirable.
- Must have good field skills, including species identification, reading and interpreting maps,a and using a compass working alone.
- GPS experience is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Grant writing experience is desirable.
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point and ArcView 10x is required. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite products is desirable. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Passionate about natural resource conservation. Understanding of and commitment to ClearWater’s vision and mission, as well as conservation and stewardship goals and priorities.
- Demonstrated reliability, with ability to work independently, as well as ability to work as part of a team, forming strong, positive working relationships.
- Outgoing personality that is friendly, compassionate, and professional.
- Ability to be tactful and diplomatic, and to display patience and humor, while projecting authority in potentially adversarial situations.
- Good organizational and time management skills, thoroughness, and attention to details with the ability to manage a workload with multiple, often competing priorities.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Creative about and committed to fundraising.
- Must be able to negotiate varied and possibly difficult terrain.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and references by June 24, 2013, or until the position is filled to: Jennifer Shuey, Executive Director, ClearWater Conservancy, 2555 North Atherton Street, State College, PA 16803, (814) 237-0400, email@example.com.
ClearWater Conservancy, http://www.clearwaterconservancy.org
2555 North Atherton Street, State College, PA 16803