Community Outreach Intern – Bronx, NY
Organization: Sustainable South Bronx
Position Title: Community Outreach Intern
Location: Bronx, NY
Hours & Compensation: 20-24 hours/week. Unpaid. Monthly Metrocard provided.
Position Dates: 6-8 weeks beginning in June.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 13, 2013.
Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx) works with the South Bronx and other underserved urban communities as they transform themselves into great, sustainable places to live. We do this by providing a collaborative model that addresses environmental and economic concerns through green job training, community greening programs, and social enterprise.
The Community Outreach intern will work closely with the Director of Sustainable Policy & Research to provide support for our community greening initiatives in the South Bronx. The intern will focus primarily on two projects; (1) our Greenway Stewardship program, which strives to promote the upkeep of the South Bronx Greenway and (2) a recycling pilot project taking place in the Highbridge section of the Bronx in collaboration with the NYC Department of Sanitation and EKOCYCLE. THis is an exciting opportunity for a student hoping to acquire hands-on nonprofit work experience while also making an impact.
- Work with the Planning and Policy team to develop a more robust Greenway volunteer program
- Develop relationships and collaborate with other nonprofits and local businesses
- Identify and staff community events such as health fairs, neighborhood organization and coalition meetings, and neighborhood festivals
- Develop relationships with local colleges and civic groups to promote our programming and enhance our recruitment efforts
- Write summaries and educational fact sheets for community outreach
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Must have an outgoing, energetic personality and be willing to engage with a wide range of people;
- Able to communicate well in person and on the phone;
- Able to work independently and complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Willing to support and assist team members;
- Willing to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends as needed;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred; upper-level undergraduates will be considered.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter, addressed to Angela Tovar, Policy and Planning Dept., to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read “Policy and Planning Intern.”
Sustainable South Bronx, http://www.ssbx.org
1231 Lafayette Avenue, 4th Floor, Bronx, NY 10474