Toxics Program Manager – Washington, DC
Organization: Physicians for Social Responsibility
Position Title: Toxics Program Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Hours & Compensation: Part-time.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Posted On: June 14, 2013.
PSR is the largest physician-led organization in the U.S. working to prevent nuclear war and proliferation and to slow, stop and reverse global warming and toxic degradation of the environment. PSR’s chapters, health professionals and concerned citizen members, along with national and chapter staff, form a unique nationwide network committed to a safer and healthier world.
PSR seeks a dynamic part-time Toxics Program Manager to join its Environment and Health Department. The preferred candidate has proven public health expertise in the area of toxics, advocacy experience and professional writing. S/he is able to create new written and presentation materials on specific toxic chemical topics; can effectively organize and direct health professional volunteers and our PSR chapters to educate and advocate for chemicals policy reform; and is able to further develop the program for growth. We seek a person who thinks creatively, demonstrates maturity and strong interpersonal skills, is results-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. This position reports to the Environment and Health Program Director.
- Engage PSR actively in policy advocacy for toxics regulation reform. Spearhead PSR’s participation in coalitions to work for effective federal toxics legislation. Mobilize PSR members and chapters to advocate in favor of strong health-protective measures.
- Support PSR chapters in mobilizing action in support of state-level toxics reform. Provide them with information, contacts and resource materials. Increase networking among chapters.
- Curate and edit the “Environmental Health Policy Institute,” PSR’s online monthly expert forum. Plan, solicit, edit, post and distribute monthly Institute content.
- Creatively utilize PSR materials on toxics to reach a wider medical and public health audience. Package and distribute materials to serve as fact sheets, newsletter articles, handouts for health professional or patient use, testimony, op-ed articles, slideshows, etc.
- Masters level or higher degree in an environmental, health or related field. MPH or additional training in toxics-related content preferred.
- At least 3 years’ experience in peer-to-peer training and resource material development.
- Knowledge and passion about toxic chemical issues.
- Hands-on experience in policy advocacy.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, organizational and communication skills.
- A proven track record of effective project management and completion.
- Self-starter and independent worker. Demonstrates creative ideas and approaches.
- Flexible and results-oriented.
- Ability to work with health professionals and to nurture them in activism.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter describing your qualifications and salary requirements, resume, and three supervisory references to email@example.com. Please include “Toxics Program Manager”in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Physicians for Social Responsibility, http://www.psr.org
1111 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20005