Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center Site Supervisor – Bellevue, WA
Organization: Pacific Science Center
Position Title: Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center Site Supervisor
Location: Bellevue, WA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary depends on experience.
Position Dates: Start August 15, 2013.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 16, 2013.
Pacific Science Center is an independent, not-for-profit educational foundation dedicated to increasing the public’s understanding and appreciation of science, mathematics, and technology through interactive exhibits and programs. Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center is a partnership between Pacific Science Center and City of Bellevue. The Mercer Slough program is located off-site from the main Pacific Science Center facility.
Pacific Science Center’s Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center (MSEEC) seeks a Mercer Slough Site Supervisor to ensure the development and maintenance of high-quality programs and on-site operation for these programs at Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center. The Site Supervisor is a key member of the Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center’s (MSEEC) administrative staff. The position supervises the teaching staff of Mercer Slough as well as the development and delivery of school group programs including: on-site pre-K – 8 field study programs and off-site can outreach programs. In addition, this position works in coordination with the Mercer Slough Manager to provide oversight of facilities and partnership operations when the Manager is off-site.
Program Vision and Innovation: Contributing to Pacific Science Center and Mercer Slough EEC missions by:
- Maintaining an awareness of participant and community needs and adapting new and existing programs to better suit those needs.
- Assisting other Program Supervisors/Coordinators and Mercer Slough Program Manager in creating innovative, inquiry-based programs & curriculum that inspire enthusiasm and passion for the natural world.
Program Operations and Planning: Ensures the safe and successful Mercer Slough programs by:
- Scheduling staff for programs, communicating with staff about the schedule and ensuring that the schedule is running efficiently.
- Monitoring and coordinating logistics for program scheduling to ensure each program does not conflict with other programs.
- Assisting teachers with operation of programs and any difficulties that arise as necessary.
- Following up on any program or maintenance needs reported by teachers and providing teaching staff recognition support.
- Ensuring smooth daily operations of programs including supervising program staff in daily operations and responding to teacher/staffing substituting emergencies.
- Ensuring quality control of parent/participant communication materials including registration process, confirmation of pre-visit materials and daily camp letters.
- Responsible for communication with parents, school groups and Pacific Science Center registration.
- Overseeing daily site management, in partnership with the Program Supervisors; including public inquiries, site/vehicle maintenance, staff scheduling and program calendars.
- Develop seasonal staffing models, logistical systems and new program components to ensure efficient and effective program support responsive to programmatic changes and growth.
- Summer and Break Camp implementation support to Mercer Slough Pre-K – 8 Coordinator including pre- and post- logistics planning, educational supplies ordering and organization, and instruction support as needed.
- Leading coordination of phone and front office logistics with support from MSEEC Administrative Staff.
- Leading and maintaining office equipment and supplies.
- Serving as Mercer Slough’s Petty Case Officer and Key/Code Officer.
- Serving as Pacific Science Center Facilities and Rental Monitor for MSEEC Community Room
Employee Development and Management: Ensures success of program staff by:
- Supervising all teaching staff
- Establishing staff performance expectations through training, observation, advising and mentoring, staff evaluations, disciplinary actions and HR procedures.
- Work with other Program Supervisors to implement and execute training for staff.
- Supervising hiring process, including requirement, phone screens, interviews, and hiring paperwork, selection and assignment process for MSEEC Teaching Staff.
- Monitoring and maintaining communications with staff and volunteers.
Financial Integrity: Ensure the efficient financial operation of the Mercer Slough program by:
- Maintaining accurate attendance records.
- Keeping track of all expenditures and turning in receipts, invoices, and transfers in a timely manner.
- Assisting the manager in the development of yearly budgets.
- Assisting manager in developing innovative ways to increase revenues and reduce expenses through the development of new programs, grants, sponsorships and partnerships.
Environmental Science Education: Contributes to an engaging learning experience by:
- Programming instruction as needed.
- Modeling respect and appreciation for the environment and the participants.
- Sharing excitement, wonder, and enthusiasm for the program and the natural world with all participants.
- Establishing and maintaining linkages to state and national science standards as appropriate.
- Supervisory experience
- Outdoor and experiential teaching skills
- Knowledge of fresh water ecosystems with emphasis on ecosystems native to the Puget Sound region
- BA/BS in Biology, Natural Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Sciences, or Environmental Education
- Smiling team player
- Proven organizational skills
- Group management skills
- Ability to think on your feet during unexpected and stressful situations
- Ability to maintain enthusiasm and positive outlook
- High energy level and strong initiative
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal, especially with large groups)
- Teaching and classroom management skills
- Knowledge of fresh water ecosystems with an emphasis on the Puget Sound region
- Significant experience supervising teaching staff and delivering school group programs.
How to Apply:
Pacific Science Center, http://www.pacsci.org
1625 118th Avenue SE, Bellevue, WA 98005