Field Representative – Los Angeles, CA
Organization: The Trust for Public Land
Position Title: Field Representative
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 10, 2013.
The Trust for Public Land conserves land for people to enjoy as parks, gardens, and other natural places, ensuring livable communities for generations to come.
We were founded in 1972 with goals of protecting land in and around cities and pioneering new land conservation techniques. Over the years, our work expanded to include projects from inner city to wilderness, and our broad experience has made us a national leader and innovator in city park creation, state and local conservation funding, and using GIS for conservation planning.
The Field Representative will assist with the development and renovation of parks, playgrounds, green alleys and Fitness Zones, within the Parks for People-Los Angeles Program. This position will be a key member of the Parks for People – Los Angeles team working to design, construct and maintain capital improvements for park, garden and playground development projects throughout Los Angeles County. Key activities include working with other team members to plan outreach activities and facilitate community workshops, provide support with tasks related to managing consultants, steward construction document preparation and support during construction administration phases of project development. Additionally, the Field Representative will plan for and manage stewardship activities for completed projects.
- Represent The Trust for Public Land in the project communities; attend neighborhood meetings to represent The Trust for Public Land and update communities on our project status
- Create outreach materials and organize outreach events (barbecues, art projects, etc)
- Create graphic displays including plans, sections, elevations, materials boards, sketches and details as needed for project, agency and philanthropy submittals
- Provide technical assistance on construction document production, including plans and specifications
- Coordinate with vendors and consultants to obtain product information and project deliverables
- Research project-specific materials, costs, and relevant issues
- Provide support and assistance as needed in fundraising, budgeting and reporting
- Educate communities, local government representatives and others on the importance and positive impacts of having healthy parks and playgrounds
- Manage and track consultant invoices and payments
- Project scoping, research and gathering background materials
- Provide general administration and program support
- Provide support in consultant contract generation
- Represent the Trust for Public Land at local conferences and meetings
- A degree in landscape architecture from an accredited university
- 2-4 years experience in the field of landscape architecture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent design, graphic and hand drawing skills, local plant knowledge, and experience in the design process
- Proficiency in AutoCAD construction document production
- Proficiency in Adobe CD and Microsoft Office; SketchUp a plus
- Ability to work on challenging and complex projects with moderate level of supervision
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at one time
- Ability to bring a high degree of flexibility, creativity, vision, and resourcefulness to projects
- Demonstrated awareness and understanding of environmental justice issues in low-income, urban communities
- Flexibility with periodic nighttime and weekend community meetings.
- Additional desired skills: Experience working on projects under construction; Able to collaborate and negotiate with diverse groups and interests in dynamic, inner-city environments; Conservational fluency in Spanish a plus.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume and cover letter online.
The Trust for Public Land, http://www.tpl.org
Los Angeles Office: LA River Center, 570 West Avenue 26, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90065