Policy Manager, Smart Power Initiatives – New York, NY
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
Position Title: Policy Manager, Smart Power Initiatives
Location: New York, NY
Hours & Compensation: Full-time.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 31, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF Smart Power
Electric utilities are poised to invest up to $2 trillion in infrastructure over the next two decades to modernize our aging, inefficient energy infrastructure, creating a once-in-a-century opportunity to revolutionize how we generate, distribute and use electricity. These choices will be influenced by stricter Clean Air Act standards and the availability of low-cost natural gas, two factors that have combined to create a rare moment of dynamism in the power sector. Environmental Defense Fund’s Smart Power experts are working with state Public Utility Commissions, policymakers and other key stakeholders to seize this opportunity to modernize our antiquated electricity grid and spur investments in and break down the regulatory and financial barriers to broad-scale adoption of renewable energy, energy efficiency and other innovative ways to generate and use energy. These approaches can answer the need for power, spur economic development, lesson our carbon footprint and help America gain a global leadership position in the multi-trillion dollar clean energy economy.
EDF is seeking a Policy Manager for our New York regional Smart Power program to manage policy research and development, legislative research and campaigns, and outreach and education. The manager, reporting to the Director, Smart Power Initiatives, will be responsible for developing policies and executing strategies in support of the EDF Smart Power agenda including energy efficiency, distributed generation and renewable energy, as well as building relationships with key energy policymakers and stakeholders (e.g. legislators, agency staff and NGOs). This position will also be the point person for all external inquiries relating to legislation and policy outside of Smart Power.
Advocacy and legislative:
- Collaborate with regional and national Smart Power team to develop a regional Smart Power advocacy agenda
- Develop and maintain relationships with key legislative and executive policymakers and their staffs as well as government agencies with primary responsibilities for developing and implementing energy policy
Research and policy analysis:
- Conduct background research, environmental and policy analysis in support of the EDF Smart Power agenda
- Analyze and develop energy policy proposals and legislation
- Manage EDF’s New York regional research and decision-making process for joining non-EDF legislation and other efforts where relevant.
Partnerships and collaboration:
- Maintain and establish new partnerships with other stakeholder grounds, including other environmental organizations.
- Support EDF’s marketing and communications team through preparation of materials for the media, policymakers and other stakeholders including blogging, media outreach, press releases and op-eds, public education materials and action alerts
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum seven years relevant experience in government affairs, legislative campaigns and communications.
- Some knowledge of and experience with energy systems, issues and regulatory processes necessary.
- Some knowledge of political legislative and budget processes in New York City and New York State with a willingness to engage in New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Demonstrated ability to lead outreach and education efforts.
- Possess strong organizational and people skills, be a self-starter, but thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to mobilizing and direct scientific, legal, economic and other experts to explain public policy initiatives.
- Comfortable managing diverse, fast-paced workload.
- Strong written and verbal skills with the expertise to communicate complex technical and regulatory issues to a non-technical audience.
How to Apply: Apply online at http://www.edf.org/jobs/policy-manager-smart-power-initiatives.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org
257 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10010