Program Developer, Center for Excellence in Environmental Education – Longwood, VA
Organization: Longwood University
Position Title: Program Developer, Center for Excellence in Environmental Education
Location: Longwood, VA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time.
Position Dates: Expected duration of position is 24 months. Program Develop position will be phased out as CE3 is officially launched.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Longwood University is dedicated to the development of citizen leaders prepared to contribute to the common good. The Center for Excellence in Environmental Education’s (CE3) missions is to inspire and prepare active stewards of our environment through several strategic goals: 1) engage all Longwood students in meaningful environment-based learning; 2) provide environmental education support for Virginia’s K-12 teachers; and 3) promote environmental literacy among Virginia’s citizens. When fully developed, CE3 will be staffed by full-time faculty members and supported by the activities of consultants, curriculum developers, and others. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to guide the transition of CE3 from a carefully research idea to a true leader in environmental education for the University, the Commonwealth, and the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Design and frame the specifics of CE3 so as to make it a model of excellence in the region and beyond
- Create a viable and sustainable plan for CE3
- Collaborate with stakeholders (e.g., faculty and staff, leaders in Virginia’s public education systems, environmental education professionals, and community leaders) to develop CE3 as an integrated component of the Longwood campus and a key player in serving needs of both K-12 education and broader educational needs of citizens around the Commonwealth
- Work collaboratively to create and implement a long-term strategic plan for CE3
- Research and define the specific environmental education needs in Virginia
- Represent and raise the profile and visibility of CE3 to funders, partners, policymakers, and the public
- Analyze potential partnership opportunities with university administration; boards; local, regional, and state agencies; and volunteers
- Research funding opportunities and construct a comprehensive list of those with real potential
- Perform all duties ethically; ensure all decisions, activities, and businesses are in compliance with policies and applicable Commonwealth and Federal laws and regulations
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of graduate credentials
- Significant experience in program development and management with demonstrated success in moving efforts from ideas to implementation
- Experience with and knowledge of higher education, public education, and environmental education
- Entrepreneurial spirit to imagine the potential of CE3 and enthusiasm for moving projects from nascent stages to full potential
- Honed skills in complex collaborative work with application to the framework of a higher education institution
- Exceptional capacity for networking and advocacy and ability to build coalitions with a wide range of individuals and organizations at the local, regional, and national levels
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and judgment
- Demonstrated success in securing resources
- Ability to manage multiple high priorities with competing deadlines and to plan, coordinate, and monitor goals and strategies
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of Virginia’s educational and environmental organizations
How to Apply:
Submit a letter of interest (indicate position #FA370), contact information for three references, resume, “Release of Information,” and “EEO Data Collection Form” (found on our website at http://www.longwood.edu/hr/24381.htm under “Recruitment and Hiring”; the EEO form is voluntary) to: Human Resources, Longwood University, 201 High Street , Farmville, VA 23909
Phone: 434-395-2074; Fax: 434-395-2666; Email: email@example.com
Longwood University, http://www.longwood.edu