Project Manager, Sustainability Solutions Extension Services – Tempe, AZ
Position Title: Project Manager, Sustainability Solutions Extension Services
Location: Tempe, AZ
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. $54,047 – $71,200/year.
Position Dates: Grant funded position. Continuation of position contingent on future grant funding.
Application Deadline: June 24, 2013.
The Global Institute of Sustainability is the hub of Arizona State University’s sustainability initiatives. The Institute advances research, education, and business practices for an urbanizing world. Its School of Sustainability, the first of its kind in the U.S., offers transdisciplinary degree programs focused on finding practical solutions to environmental, economic, and social challenges.
The Global Institute of Sustainability (GIOS) has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to work with the General Manager of the Sustainability Solutions Extension Service (SSXS or the Service). The Project Manager will play a critical role for the Solutions Service in the development of customers, projects and sustainability solutions and will manage the planning, development, executive, and coordination of the delivery of system-level solutions to sustainability challenges in response to requests for assistance from business, community, government, and non-profit entities.
- Client relationship management: Deliver customer, faculty and student satisfaction by independently ensuring the goals and objectives of the projects or programs are accomplished in accordance with priorities, timelines, funding limitations and other specifications.
- Business development: Feed and manage the opportunity pipeline to target opportunities that most effectively meet the strategic needs of both customers and GIOS. Develop and write proposals for client opportunities and assist WSSI and Solutions Service management with winning projects.
- Team building: Develop and deliver services using an “action research” approach, utilizing the knowledge of ASU sustainability scientists and scholars by engaging, building and coordinating project teams of faculty and students, both graduate and undergraduate, and manage, coach, and supervise junior project team members to ensure optimal outcomes. Build, develop, and maintain relationships vital to project success.
- Project development and management: Negotiate and develop project plans based on project budget, resource and timeline constraints. Work collaboratively with WSSI and Solution Service managements and stakeholders to define and manage project scope, strategy, budget, and expectations; regularly communicate project status to stakeholders. Work collaboratively with project team to define project challenges, develop system-level solution approaches, engage and facilitate stakeholders, deliver sustainability solutions, oversee the effective performance of programs/projects, and ensure customer satisfaction. Identify and organize ASU faculty, staff researchers and students at ASU into a consultancy with special or technical expertise in matters of sustainability and sustainability science. Communicate project status and timelines.
- Research coordination: Manage the development and cataloging of validated learnings from each project experience by coordinating involvement of ASU faculty assisting in the projects from project participation through publishing of results as case studies, journal articles, conference proceedings, monotypes, etc. Assist in the development of standards, benchmarks and tool databases to provide “off-the-shelf” solutions and performance metrics for customers.
- Technical: As needed, perform research, analysis, solutions development and documentation on projects.
- Leadership: Oversee Solutions Service Graduate Research Assistants in executing tasks in accordance with project objectives.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years related experience; one (1) of which are in project management.
- Desired Qualifications: Evidence of a graduate degree in sustainability or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in business development/startup and consultancy, marketing services
- Demonstrated experience in drafting, negotiating and administering contracts and/or proposals
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating small and large work groups
- Demonstrated working knowledge of energy systems, sustainability and sustainable development solutions
How to Apply:
Application deadline is 11:59 pm Arizona time on June 24, 2013.
Complete the required information and attach a single Word or PDF document, which includes:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references (names, address, and phone numbers)
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g. 6/88 – 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employment for each position. Resume should clearly demonstrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Sustainability Solutions Extension Service, http://sustainability.asu.edu