Energy Efficiency Field Organizer – Ann Arbor, MI
Organization: Michigan League of Conservation Voters
Position Title: Energy Efficiency Field Organizer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Hours & Compensation: Part-time.
Position Dates: Start July 1, 2013.
Application Deadline: Please apply before June 21, 2013. Applications received prior to June 21, 2013 will be given priority, but we will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
Posted On: June 18, 2013.
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (MLCVEF) is the acknowledged, leading political voice for protecting Michigan’s land, air, and water. We use our power to educate the public and public officials to promote the best policies are enacted to protect our families’ – and future generations’ – health, economic well-being, and ability to enjoy the pure beauty of our state. To secure the environmental future of Michigan, Michigan LCV Education Fund’s mission is to educate citizens and legislators – as well as train and coordinate environmental organizations and advocates – in order to achieve the greatest understanding of sound environmental policies and the civic engagement necessary to achieve them.
The Energy Efficiency Field Organizer implements a portion of Michigan LCV Education Fund’s field program by renewing outreach to the energy efficiency contractors MLCVEF has identified and cultivated. The focus will be activating contractors and municipal leaders to take action through direct communication with specific districts. All data and targeting will be facilitated through the Voter Activation Network. The Field Organizer will coordinate with the Field Director to build a strong base of activists throughout Michigan.
- Educates and engages Energy Efficiency contractors and business owners on Energy Efficiency legislation in targeted communities through Michigan;
- Builds relationships primarily with Energy efficiency business owner and their employees, as well as traditional and non-traditional allies, legislators, and citizens to build and strengthen power (in-district & in Lansing) within the environmental movement (renewable energy and energy efficiency);
- Elevates the discussion of key issues within the public debate;
- Activates business owners/contractors to engage with their Michigan legislators, encouraging and assisting them with legislative visits (both in-district and in Lansing) and writing Letters to the Editor to promote energy efficiency, among other actions;
- Achieves specific metrics, including but not limited to: blog posts, legislative meetings, calls, signatories; assists with organizing events, reports metrics and results on a regular basis to the Field Director;
- Represents the organization in statewide coalitions; coordinates outreach and organizing efforts;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree, preferred.
- Work Experience: Two years progressively responsible experience in organizing advocacy campaigns and program management. Excellent time management and organizational skills. Demonstrated successful organizing experience.
- Skills: Strong interpersonal and communications skills; strong networking and negotiating skills; basic understanding of the legislative process; strong project management skills; advanced knowledge of the VAN is required; proficient with word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word, GoogleDoc, Excel, PowerPoint preferred). Knowledge of environmental issues desirable. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and make deadlines.
- Capabilities: Genuine commitment to non-partisanship; ability to work collaboratively; demonstrated organizing skills; solid judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks; highly organized; ability to report metrics in a timely fashion; ability to work independently.
- Conditions: Ability to travel.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references, and two current writing samples by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michigan League of Conservation Voters, http://www.michiganlcv.org
213 West Liberty Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104