Community Outreach Liaison – Accokeek, MD
Organization: Alice Ferguson Foundation
Position Title: Community Outreach Liaison
Location: Accokeek, MD
Hours & Compensation: Full-time with benefits.
Application Deadline: July 1, 2013.
Posted On: June 18, 2013.
The Alice Ferguson Foundation is a preeminent environmental educational organization on the Potomac River focused on providing experiences that encourage connections between people, the natural environment, farming, and the cultural heritage of the Potomac River Watershed, that lead to personal environmental responsibility. As a leader of watershed stewardship, it models innovative practices, outreach, partnerships, programs and events that are replicated nationally.
Our team of educators teaches over 10,000 students annually through an onsite program at our 350 acre working farm on the Potomac River, and through Bridging the Watershed (BTW), an off-site partnership program providing high school field studies in national parks. We currently have a staff of 25 full and part-time staff.
AFF is seeking a Community Outreach Liaison to coordinate grassroots implementation of the Alice Ferguson Foundation’s Regional Litter Prevention Campaign in the District of Columbia. The ideal candidate will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, as well as be flexible and comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment. The job will require occasional evenings and weekends, and applicant must have regular access to a reliable vehicle.
- Identify and develop relationships with key stakeholder groups including elected officials, District agencies, houses of worship, home owners associations, and youth groups.
- Develop and deploy Litter Campaign materials that have been targeted for specific stakeholder groups.
- Provide support to community institutions that are utilizing the Litter Campaign.
- Conduct trash and litter related presentations for local citizens through civic associations, churches, recreation centers, libraries, schools, and businesses in neighborhoods.
- Mentor Green Teams at schools in the implementation of the Trash Free Schools program.
- Assist with implementation of evaluation techniques including online opinion survey and observational monitoring.
- Assist with coordination of the Annual Potomac River Watershed Cleanup.
- Assist with coordinator of the Annual Potomac Watershed Trash Summit.
- Other activities as directed.
- Previous experience with volunteer organizing, community outreach, and/or public speaking
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field such as environmental science, education, communication, or solid waste management
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, or willingness to learn
- Basic environmental knowledge and familiarity with Potomac and Anacostia Watersheds
- Community outreach experience in the Anacostia Watershed in the District of Columbia: Wards 5, 6, 7, and 8.
How to Apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alice Ferguson Foundation, http://www.fergusonfoundation.org
2001 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD 20607