Director, Outdoor Education Center – Yellow Springs, OH
Position Title: Director, Outdoor Education Center
Location: Yellow Springs, OH
Application Deadline: Reviewed and accepted until the position is filled.
Posted On: June 18, 2013.
The Glen Helen Outdoor Education Center (OEC) is the Midwest’s original environmental learning facility. It is located within Glen Helen, a 1000-acre preserve owned by Antioch College. The OEC welcomes nearly 3000 schoolchildren each year, and also provides a training program for naturalist and administrative interns. The OEC is adjacent to the Glen Helen Raptor Center, which provides education programs and rehabilitation for birds of prey.
The OEC is searching for a Director. This individual is responsible for the direction, management, and coordination of programs at the OEC, including residential Outdoor School, summer Ecocamp, a naturalist training program, and a student scholarship program. In collaboration with the Glen Helen Ecology Institute Executive Director, the Outdoor Education Center Director provides oversight of the facilities of the OEC and engages in long-range planning and visioning for the center.
- Market programs and recruit schools for the academic year.
- Recruit, train, mentor, supervise, and evaluate 13 interns, including naturalist teaching interns and administrative interns.
- Supervise and evaluate OEC permanent staff, including the Assistant Director, Food sService Manger, and the Business Manager.
- Manage the OEC budget to ensure that financial and revenue goals are met.
- Pursue grants and other funding sources in support of OEC programs.
- Develop, administer, and evaluate educational programs and curriculum.
- Manage day-to-day responsibilities consistent with Glen Helen long-range goals.
- Develop and coordinate training for Naturalist interns.
- Maintain positive environmental practices in the OEC’s programs, and ensure a high standard of environmental practices in general operations.
- Work with maintenance staff to ensure that the OEC facility needs are addressed.
- Work collaboratively with the other programs of the Glen Helen Ecology Institute.
- Additional responsibilities as necessary.
- Excellent teacher, a skilled manager, and a proven collaborator and team builder.
- Ability to maintain focus on the long-range vision while attending to operational details.
- Possess outstanding organization and communications skills, and have the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Work well with a broad range of people, from school administrators, to students, to members of the public.
- Flexibility in work schedule is essential, as evening or weekend work is periodicially required.
- Ability to work outdoors in all seasons is necessary.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Education or related field.
- Experience planning and delivering, and administering environmental education programs.
- Staff supervision experience.
- Experience with marketing and sales.
- Demonstrated leadership skill and an ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Food service and facilities management experience preferred.
- Computer literacy, including word processing, desktop publishing, database management.
How to Apply:
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Human Resources at email@example.com. Direct mail should be sent to the address below.
Glen Helen Outdoor Education Center, http://glen.antiochcollege.org
Antioch College, c/o Thomas Brookey, One Morgan Plan, Yellow Springs, OH 45387