Membership & Volunteer Coordinator – Fredericksburg, VA
Organization: Friends of the Rappahannock
Position Title: Membership & Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. $30,000.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: June 18, 2013.
Friends of the Rappahannock is a nonprofit river conservation organization, established in 1985. We conduct advocacy, restoration, and education programs to implement our mission of being the “Voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River”. We have over 2,000 members, a volunteer board of 15, a staff of 8 environmental professionals, and 2 offices in the Rappahannock basin. We are actively engaged in the conservation and restoration of the outstanding values of Virginia’s Rappahannock River and its tributaries.
Friends of the Rappahannock seeks an energetic, passionate and articulate individual to take our membership and volunteer programs to the next level. If you enjoy:
- motivating groups with your words,
- helping others get excited about conservation;
- cultivating relationships with individuals to see them grow as leaders;
- guiding members to take on volunteer roles in order to provide them with a positive experience, getting your hands dirty with field conservation projects, while also taking equality pride, detail and ownership in the management of our internal database of members and volunteers,
then this unique position may be a good fit for you.
Membership and Volunteerism are key to our success, and as such, this position pays a critical role. The Volunteer and Membership Coordinator takes our message to the community. You will give innovative and engaging presentations to community groups on issues related to the Rappahannock, and most importantly, how they can get involved in supporting our mission. You will train volunteers to do the same. You will also be involved in planning and implementing both office and field projects that put our volunteers to work in areas ranging from computer work to rain garden construction.
- Promote and participate in volunteer restoration projects (Rainscape Retrofits, Student Stream Teams, Cleanups, Oyster Reef projects, Rain Barrel Construction) and other projects as directed.
- Actively seek new volunteers of all ages with a focus on recruiting skilled early retirees, through working with local “age 50+” neighborhoods and other venues.
- Manage the processing of all incoming memberships to ensure database integrity and to develop relationships that may lead to volunteerism.
- Develop relationships with new members and all volunteers, serving as the “face of the organization” t volunteers.
- Seek out new opportunities to speak to groups about our organization, recruiting new members and volunteers.
- Cultivate the development of casual volunteers into leaders through outreach, relationship-building and training.
- Manage annual new membership acquisition campaign, including mass mailing, outreach, and the use of various forms of mass media.
- Improve the membership experience through the development of welcome packets, timely renewal reminder systems, an regular recognition of volunteer service.
- Coordinate the production of our quarterly “River Views” newsletter.
- Assist in grantwriting and meetings with donors to ensure continued funding.
- Coordinate the regular FOR presence on Facebook.
- Other projects as needed for the successful implementation of the organization’s mission.
- Outgoing personality, passion for river conservation, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivational speaker, contagiously positive.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully under limited supervision.
- Degree in Environmental Science or related discipline. Solid understanding of the issues affecting theChesapeake Bay and its tributariesa and the ability to explain scientific concepts to the general public is a readily understandable way.
- Solid computer skills and the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to work occasional evenings or weekend days for outreach events.
Preferred, but not required:
- Experience with desktop publishing; preferably using Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
- Experience with ArcMap GIS.
- Whitewater canoeing skills, motorboat operation.
How to Apply:
To apply, use the link below to submit your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please specifically address how your experience matches the Position Description and the Requirements for the position. The more detail you can provide, the better.
Address cover letter to John Tippett, Executive Director, Friends of the Rappahannock. Only online applications will be accepted. No calls, please. Submit application online at: http://www.riverfriends.org/GetInvolved/JobOpenings/tabid/507/position/11/Default.aspx.
Friends of the Rappahannock, http://www.riverfriends.org
3219 Fall Hill Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA 22401