Research Associate – Tempe, AZ
Organization: Global Institute of Sustainability
Position Title: Research Associate
Location: Tempe, AZ
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. $50,000 – $60,000.
Application Deadline: Initial close date June 28, 2013. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
The Sustainability Consortium (TSC) consists of over 100 corporate, NGO, government, and academic stakeholder organizations who are driving a new generation of products and supply chains that address today’s sustainability imperatives. TSC is doing so by focusing on developing science and tools that enable rigorous and cost-effectice measurement and reporting of consumer product sustainability. The current focus is on identifying environmental and social hotspots, and associated improvement opportunities and key performance indicators for several hundred consumer product categories. More information about TSC can be found here: http://www.sustainabilityconsortium.org/. The Global Institute of Sustainability conducts research, education, and problem-solving related to sustainability, with a special focus on urban environments. The Institute initiates and nurtures work on issues of sustainability across many departments on the four campuses of ASU, and collaborates with other academic institutions, governments, businesses and industries, and community groups locally, nationally, and globally.
The Sustainability Consortium has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Research Associate. The Research Associate will be responsible for research and development of TSC Knowledge Products around the environmental and social impacts of consumer goods supply chains. This involves assisting in the coordination of day-to-day activities of the research team and assist in developing methodology and tools to improve the research work flow and provide support as necessary for additional research projects within TSC.
- Consumer product sustainability research and coordination;
- Work with Project and Research Managers to execute project timelines and goals;
- Work with the technical copy editors to ensure deliverables are meeting quality standards set by TSC;
- Assure compliance with TSC data security and management and intellectual property policies;
- Perform research on environmental and social impacts of assigned property categories;
- Develop and manage revisions of documents on assigned product categories;
- Train new research team members on methods and processes for research;
- Support research activities with China research partners;
- Train and assist student researchers with research process and literature interpretation
- Manage transition process for research content into a research database and participate in the continuous improvement of the data based in future phases;
- Coordinate closely with their colleagues to harmonize process and procedures between Arizona State University and University of Arkansas;
- Engage with academic and other research partners through sponsored research and strategic partnerships to further TSC research goals;
- Participate in internal meetings and coordinate work with other TSC staff;
- Communicate in a clear and timely fashion the status of TSC deliverables under supervision to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Ensure TSC deliverables exceed quality expectations set within the SMRS framework;
- Travel (up to 10% time).
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, Sustainability, Physical Science, Social Science, Engineering, or related field and with related industry or research experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of years of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working in a complex and academic research laboratory setting.
- Experience in life cycle assessment and sustainability sciences.
- Experience in developing and maintaining databases and reports.
- Strong research skills with the ability to perform research in a deadline-driven business environment, and be committed to TSC’s mission.
- Solid project and program management skills, including organizing, prioritizing and managing resources. E
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
How to Apply:
Application deadline is 11:59pm Arizona time on the day indicated. Please visit www.academicjobsonline.org to apply. Applicants must submit letter outlining qualifications for the position, curriculum vitae or resume, and the name, email address, and/or telephone number for three professional references. Only electronic applications will be accepted.