Senior Associate – Oakland, CA
Organization: Blue Earth Consultants, LLC
Position Title: Senior Associate
Location: Oakland, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: The position will remain open until a suitable applicant is found.
Are you passion about coastal and ocean resources management? Are you exceptionally organized and possess superior project management capabilities? Do you enjoy creating structure and efficiency out of chaos? Are you a Jack/Jane of all trades who wants to help the company realize its enormous potential with with a can do attitude? If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to dip your hands into a little bit of everything in a dynamic start-up environment with global ambitions and a desire to save the planet, we are looking for you!
Blue Earth Consultants was established in 2005. We are a boutique consulting firm that specializes in providing its clients with strategies to enhance and develop durable and sustainable solutions through the use of innovative and practical tools. Our consulting engagements include strategic planning/business planning, sustainable financing of protected areas, monitoring and evaluation, integrating science into policy and management, resource management and sustainable business practices. Our core services in these areas include research and writing, project management, facilitation, grant writing, and modeling, all with a specific emphasis on white water to blue water ecosystems and issues. We work with diverse clients, from foundations to inter-governmental organizations (IGOs), governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), universities, and businesses. We tailor each project to our clients’ needs and deliver the highest quality, solutions-oriented products in a timely, strategic, and professional manner.
The ideal candidate is happiest doing a little bit of everything, thrives in environments with significant variety in job responsibilities, and is a team player.
- Ensure that the quality of deliverable is of the consistently necessary to obtain and maintain Blue Earth’s recognition as a firm of choice
- Lead and support multiple projects simultaneously
- Responsibly manage project teams and deliverables as required for successful completion of each project
- Research and writing for client deliverables
- Present project findings to various stakeholders groups, both informally and formally
- Cultivating new business and project opportunities and expanding the firm’s existing client base
- Monitor project hours and budgets
- Development and implementation of winning proposal strategies
- Oversee and develop junior staff
Skills and Attributes:
- Expertise in monitoring and evaluation, strategy, designing and implementing innovative natural resource solutions (e.g. policy, market-based, etc.), facilitation, and the integration of science into management policy
- Exceptional project and staff management and organizational capabilities
- Proficiency at simultaneously managing multiple projects with tight and often competing deadlines
- Possession of a methodical, analytical, strategic, diligent, and creative approach to problem solving and decision-making
- Ability to produce products in a timely fashion through collaborative processes and to work effectively with diverse partners from public and private institutions
- Ability to apply learning and knowledge across multiple disciplines, contexts, regions, sectors, etc.
- Ability to work independently, while simultaneously keeping senior staff and team members informed on the status of tasks
- Command of strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to distill critical information from diverse and detailed sources across disciplines, and translating that information between technical experts and more general audiences
- Ability to provide constructive feedback and accept constructive feedback to ensure high quality deliverables for our clients
- Strong, personal commitment to realizing the mission, and adhering to the values of Blue Earth Consultants
- The unshakeable ability to maintain neutrality and objectivity for clients and stakeholder projects, and in the interest of facilitating the meeting of minds with divergent motivations
- High sense of professionalism, maturity, and discretion as appropriate to the nature and sensitivity of our clients and projects
- Manage sensitive and proprietary information with discretion and confidentiality
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of consulting in one or more of Blue Earth Consultants’ primary service areas – Strategic and Business Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Funding and Financing, Science Integration, and Next/Best Practices
- Experience managing and delivering on multiple projects at one time
- Interdisciplinary training in marine science, ocean and coastal resource management, communications, and/or policy; PhD with 5+ years relevant experience strongly preferred. Minimum of a master’s degree or MBA in a relevant field and 6-10 years relevant experience
- Solid understanding of marine natural resource issues, landscape/major players, and solutions
- Familiarity with social science concepts and the application of social science methodology to achieve ecosystem management and/or resource conservation objectives
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability and practice in synthesizing and translating data and information to provide scientific frameworks for practicable solutions to sensitive issues
- Experience developing relationships with potential clients or funders
- Experience managing programs, contractors, and facilitating groups
- Experience with obtaining funding
- Excellent skills working with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Spanish language skills are a strong plus
How to Apply:
Send Resume, writing sample, salary expectations, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, no calls please.
Blue Earth Consultants, http://www.blueearthconsultants.com
283 4th Street, Suite 202, Oakland, CA 94607