Program Officer – Oakland, CA
Organization: ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability USA (ICLEI)
Position Title: Program Officer
Location: Oakland, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. The salary range for this position is competitive with that of other mid-level positions in the non-profit sector. ICLEI offers a competitive benefits package and a positive working environment.
Application Deadline: Interviews will begin the week of July 8th, 2013.
ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability USA (ICLEI) is the largest association of local governments in the United States focused on sustainability and resilience. The organization has over 400 city and county members, representing around 20 percent of the national population. ICLEI develops and delivers cutting-edge tools, training, and technical assistance to support local governments in their climate mitigation, climate adaptation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy efforts.
The Program Officer plays an essential role in building ICLEI’s energy and resource efficiency offerings, and in particular the Green Business Challenge program. Green Business Challenge provides a model for business engagement—characterized by friendly competition and recognition—that can be implemented by local governments, along with tools and guidance to support them in running Green Business Challenges. First developed with City of Chicago in 2009, Challenges have been developed in dozens of cities with ICLEI support.
The Program Officer will manage and further develop the Green Business Challenge program, in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders and partners from local government, non-profits, and the private sector. In addition to managing overall development of the program, this team member will provide direct assistance to communities implementing Challenges, and will market the program to enable more communities to achieve measurable results in greening the commercial sector. The Program Officer will also contribute to overall development of ICLEI’s energy and resource efficiency programs and interactions with other program areas.
The position will be based at ICLEI USA’s headquarters in Oakland, California.
- Provide direct assistance to local government staff in setting up and administering Green Business Challenge programs;
- Develop core elements of the Green Business Challenge program, such as scorecards, templates, and marketing materials;
- Facilitate a multi-sector stakeholder group providing guidance on program development;
- Administer a network of communities exchanging best practices in green business recognition programs;
- Develop communications and marketing strategies and materials to dramatically scale the Green Business Challenge program in collaboration with partners and ICLEI communications staff;
- Cultivate private sector partnerships to support Green Business Challenges in communities across the country;
- Work with software tools and data to support Green Business Challenge communities and measure program outcomes;
- Maintain an active knowledge of energy efficiency, water efficiency, solid waste management, green building, green procurement, renewable energy, climate change, and other relevant areas.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to meet organizational and program goals, contributing to strategic planning and supporting fundraising activities.
- Represent ICLEI and its members at meetings and conferences.
Eligible applicants will possess advanced knowledge and experience in energy efficiency, green building and operations, and project management. Candidates should hold a Master’s degree in a business, planning, design, policy or environmental science field and have at least three years of relevant work experience in a project management capacity; or hold a Bachelor’s degree in these fields and have at least four years of relevant work experience in a project management capacity. Applicants must possess excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills and be able to travel as necessary (approximately 10 percent).
An ability to be a self-starter and work independently is required. Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in work with local governments and businesses on sustainability issues and a desire to work in a dynamic, growing non-profit organization.
Requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills appropriate to different venues and audiences;
- Excellent communication skills in written, small group, training, and public speaking formats;
- Demonstrated skills in effective program design and implementation and in managing projects and budgets;
- Understanding and experience with the principles and techniques of energy efficiency, green building, and green operations;
- Working knowledge of common energy efficiency or green business programs and tools, including LEED, DOE Better Buildings Challenge, and EPA Portfolio Manager;
- Facility with common office software applications such as MS Office and Adobe Acrobat;
- Ability to work with a high level of initiative and autonomy when required;
- Ability to work cooperatively and authentically in a team environment.
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of concepts related to prize incentive and certification programs;
- Administrative skills in Salesforce.com
- Basic skills in desktop publishing and design applications
- Basic skills in web content management systems
- Proficiency in a second language such as Spanish, German, or Mandarin Chinese.
How to Apply:
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume or CV to Brian Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the position may also be submitted via email. Interviews will begin the week of July 8th, 2013.
Brian Holland at email@example.com
414 13th Street, Oakland, California, 94612, United States
Job URL: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/NzJS3p2Wf5Cp/