Researcher – Washington DC
Organization: Public Citizen
Position Title: Researcher – President’s Office
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Unspecified.
Application Deadline: none
Public Citizen works on a diverse portfolio of health, safety, environmental, justice and democracy issues, united by a concern about the damaging impact of excessive corporate power.
The Researcher, at the direction of the Public Citizen president, conducts analytical and investigative research on a broad set of issues of interest to the organization. The Researcher also has specific research and advocacy responsibilities related to the organization’s Commercial Alert project. Commercial Alert aims to keep the commercial culture in its proper sphere, and to prevent it from exploiting children and subverting the higher values of family, community, environmental integrity and democracy.
- Respond to short-term and time-sensitive research requests from the president, including to assist the president in preparation of op-eds, statements, testimony, etc. Research topics will cover a broad set of issues related to corporate power or otherwise of interest to Public Citizen.
- Under the direction of the president, undertake longer-term research projects for the preparation of memoranda, reports and similar documents. Research is to be conducted using on-line searches, FOIA requests, interviews and other techniques.
- Maintain the Commercial Alert website, including through daily posting of summaries of relevant news articles.
- Assist with preparation of action alerts and campaign initiatives on commercialism-related issues.
- Draft reports, fact sheets, and articles based on research for distribution to the media, policy makers and advocacy groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The researcher should have broad familiarity with public policy issues and of research techniques.
- Research and policy advocacy experience is preferred. The researcher must have strong analytic, research, and written and oral communication skills.
- The researcher should have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond to short-term deadlines and balance multiple responsibilities; maintain strong attention to detail and accuracy; and be persistent.
- The researcher should evidence a passion for justice; strong interest in and commitment to curbing excessive corporate power and advancing the public interest, and good humor.
How to Apply:
CVs, writing sample and a detailed cover letter should be sent to Aileen Walsh at email@example.com, subject line: Researcher. No phone calls, please.
Aileen Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org
1600 20th Street, NW, Washington, District of Columbia, 20009, United States
Job URL: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/S28XWxd5c8Np/