Policy Associate – Chicago, IL
Organization: Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (MEEA)
Position Title: Policy Associate
Location: Chicago, IL
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. The compensation for this position will be commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: July 19th
The Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (MEEA) is a regional non-profit organization based in Chicago with a mission to advance energy efficiency in the Midwest to support sustainable economic development and environmental preservation. MEEA is committed to be a collective voice for energy efficiency at a national, regional and state levels; act as a clearinghouse to identify, evaluate and create successful programs and market assessments for the region; and foster communication on effective energy efficiency policy.
The Policy Associate will assist members of the Policy team in advancing all of MEEAs policy activities at the local, state and regional levels. The focus of the Policy Associate’s work will be to support and advance mandated and voluntary energy efficiency policies at the state level, collection and promotion of efficiency model policies and best practices and provide technical assistance to state and local governments as well as MEEA members to maximize on energy savings through efficiency programs. The Policy Associate, in supporting the Policy team, will also have responsibility for database management, event logistics and distribution of materials, as requested.
The Policy Associate will also work with other areas of MEEA, including Membership, Marketing and Programs and will be expected to develop and maintain relationships that will advance the work of the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance.
- Assist with all aspects of the MEEA’s policy activities, including support of mandatory and voluntary efficiency policies, benefits of energy efficiency programs on residential, commercial and industrial consumers, and promotion of new technologies and cost effective programs
- Research and analysis related to consumer energy savings, economic impacts, commercial and industrial benefits and relevant technologies related to energy efficiency
- Development of fact sheets, policy memos, testimony, white papers and other advocacy materials.
- Assist in management of MEEAs policy advocacy through coalition-building with all stakeholders, development of
- written research and recommended best practices as well as production of supporting materials to advance MEEA policy goals
- Coordinate educational and outreach activities to increase awareness and understanding of energy efficiency
- Maintain relationships with public and private sector organizations and companies in the energy sector, including MEEA members, government officials, energy organizations and environmental advocates.
- Responsible for coordination of thought leadership roundtables, energy expos, regional and state conference calls, materials development, data collection, research and analysis
- Responsible for tracking policy developments in MEEA’s 13-state region
- Draft written reports and respond to inquiries from relevant members, funders and allies
- Provide administrative support to the Policy team
- Develop content, editing and maintaining the MEEA website
- Write articles, blog posts and use social media to promote mission
The successful candidate will be expected to have the following qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. required in one of the following fields: public policy, political science, urban planning, public administration
- Advanced degree in political science, public policy or public administration, preferred
- Minimum 2 years experience in public policy, mandatory with experience in energy policy, preferred
- History of strong project management experience, proven success with meeting schedules and ability of adapt to shifting priorities
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities and history of results oriented management
- Strong facilitation and coalition building skills among diverse stakeholders
- Strong oral and written presentation skills
- Able to working as a member of a team in a small-office environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Passion for energy efficiency
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Policy Associate. Applications due by COB on Friday, July 19th.
Candidates considered for interviews will be asked to provide writing samples and references.