EU Communcations Intern – Brussels, Belgium
Organization: IUCN, International Union for Conservation for Nature
Position Title: EU Communcations Intern
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Unpaid.
Application Deadline: July 17, 2013
The IUCN Brussels Office is an out-posted Headquarters unit providing global services to the organization. With premises located in Brussels, Belgium, the Office provides vital linkages for IUCN (and its Members, National Committees, scientific Commissions and the global Secretariat) to key European Union (EU) institutions and other public and private actors with regional headquarters in Brussels. The principal focus of the IUCN Office in Brussels is policy influencing and fundraising at the EU level.
The EU Communications Intern supports the work of the Communications Officer in the development and implementation of the IUCN’s EU and Brussels communications strategies. S/he assists with the delivery of communications products for corporate and project purposes and helps ensure communications resources are up to date. The internship is not paid but it provides a challenging and interesting opportunity to work in a dynamic international organization and to gain work experience in the field of EU nature conservation policies.
- Assisting with the bi-monthly Country Focus for the IUCN European webpages
- Regular updating of the IUCN European webpages via CMS
- Assisting in the production of corporate and project publications by gathering and/or drafting information and carrying our background research
- Helping with layout of publications and coordination of designers’ work
- Carrying out research for and writing webstories and articles for IUCN’s and external newsletters and websites
- Assisting in organising events and presence at events, e.g. Green Week
- Supporting work targeted to Brussels media and keeping the media database up-to-date
- Updating mailing lists and databases
- Contributing to the development and dissemination of audio and video materials
- Supporting IUCN’s social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter)
- Participating in monitoring progress of the communications strategy, via media coverage and newsletter reports, website statistics.
- Supporting the production of a series of policy briefs on BiodivERsA research projects (http://www.iucn.org/about/union/secretariat/offices/europe/activities/?12788/Bridging-science-and-policy-with-the-BiodivERsA-network)
- Assisting with day to day administration tasks.
- Coordinate campus initiatives in an effort to meet the energy goals set forth in SUNY’s Energy-Smart NY and the Governor’s BuildSmart NY.
- Interest to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Keen interest in EU nature policies and science-policy communications
- Very strong motivation to contribute to IUCN’s work
- Knowledge of EU policy-making
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Highly motivated to learn and develop new skills
- Very good eye for detail and accuracy
- Team player with an ability to work independently
- Ability to work with short deadlines and multiple simultaneous tasks
- Native English speaker (or native level)
- Affinity with the vision and mission of IUCN
- Database and website management experience is an asset
- Familiarity with biodiversity and environmental issues is an asset
- Previous experience in communications is an asset
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and other European languages is an asset
How to Apply:
Liza Druis; firstname.lastname@example.org