Director of Development – Charlottesville, VA; Boone, NC; Washington DC
Organization: Appalachian Voices
Position Title: Director of Development
Location: Charlottesville, VA; Boone, NC; Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience and skills.
Application Deadline: none
Appalachian Voices, an award winning non-profit organization that protects the land, air, water and communities of the central and southern Appalachian region while advancing a clean energy future, is seeking a Director of Development. This individual will join a team of professionals dedicated to bringing people together to implement solutions to the environmental problems having the greatest impact on the region. Our staff share a strong commitment to our mission and a deep connection to the Appalachian region and its people.
Based in Charlottesville, Virginia, Boone, North Carolina, or Washington, DC, the Director of Development will report to the Executive Director. S/he will be responsible for maximizing development functions throughout the organization through close collaboration with our program, communications, and development staff, particularly our Director of Leadership Gifts. The successful candidate will be committed to the mission of Appalachian Voices and motivated to join a team of hard-working, fun-loving, caring, smart and creative colleagues. Appalachian Voices is an Equal Opportunity Employer and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Managing all development activities to meet our fundraising goals
- Creating and implementing a development plan in consultation with the Executive Director, the Director of Leadership Gifts, and the senior management team
- Tracking of all foundation schedules, deadlines and requirements, and developing and submitting grant proposals and reports
- Researching potential new sources of foundation funding, making initial contacts with foundations, and submitting letters of inquiry
- Ensuring compliance with charity-rating entities such as Charity Navigator
- Assisting with board meetings and board development
- Contributing to organizational communications strategies and overseeing communications for development
- Supervising membership development and relationships with major donors
- Participating on the senior management team to help formulate and execute long-term goals and strategies, and to ensure effective day-to-day operations
- Extremely strong writing skills and demonstrated success in securing grants and major gifts
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to work productively both autonomously and as team member
- Experience attracting, engaging and building lasting relationships with high-level donors
- Working knowledge of social media and other digital tools to grow membership base and raise organizational visibility is a plus
- Familiarity with environmental and/or energy issues is a strong plus.
How to Apply:
If interested in applying please send your résumé and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit www.AppalachianVoices.org for more information.