Coordinator, Development – Boston, MA
Position Title: Coordinator, Development
Location: Boston, MA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Entry Level.
Application Deadline: August 9, 2013
Ceres is a national network of investors, environmental organizations and other public interest groups working with companies and investors to address sustainability challenges such as global climate change. Ceres directs the Investor Network on Climate Risk (INCR), a group of more than 100 leading institutional investors with collective assets of over $10 trillion.
Ceres plays a unique role in the national environmental and sustainability movement by bringing the perspective and power of investors to environmental and sustainability issues and specifically to the performance, practices and policies of corporations. Today Ceres is a growing organization with expanding influence in the investment, environmental, corporate and policy arenas. Our program activities seek to foster greater public disclosure of environmental and social impacts by corporations, encourage engagement between companies and their stakeholders, and create opportunities for collaborative dialogue leading to positive change on key sustainability issues. To this end, we are harnessing the influence of the nation’s largest investors to move high-impact companies, the financial and insurance industries, and policymakers toward bold action on climate and sustainability. For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
The Development Coordinator will be part of an eight-person team and will support both foundation and individual giving activities. The Coordinator will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and provide administrative support to this position. This full-time job, based in Boston, MA, is an excellent entry-level position for an individual with an interest in the field of fundraising and in climate change/sustainability.
Overall departmental activities:
- Donation and grants processing: Record all grants, donations, and pledges in Salesforce; work with the finance department to reconcile records; send weekly gift reports.
- Draft acknowledgment letters and other correspondence with donors and funders.
- Compile donor lists for annual report and other purposes; work with communications team on the distribution of the annual report to donors and funders.
- Manage the maintenance of accurate contact information and assist in the proper coding in Salesforce for donors and funders.
- Schedule department and individual giving team meetings; develop agendas, take notes, and document follow-up actions.
Individual giving team activities:
- Prepare reports on individual giving revenue, such as monthly reports and gift tables.
- Prepare the CDO, the President, and other development staff for donor meetings, including prep meetings, briefing materials, donor profiles, prospect research, and packets of Ceres materials.
- Work with the Senior Associate, Development on annual fund activities, including direct mail and email solicitation efforts, the development and production of the Ceres donor newsletter, and other donor stewardship activities. Work with outside vendors as needed.
- Support the execution of development outreach events through activities such as compiling invitation lists, working with outside vendors as needed on event materials and logistics, tracking responses, developing attendee profiles, and staffing events.
- As needed, draft or edit articles for the newsletter or concept papers for donors, develop overview materials on Ceres for development purposes.
Foundation team activities:
- Assist the Foundation team in coordinating foundation grant deliverables with programmatic work streams and updating on an on-going basis, using Salesforce.
- Assist in proposal editing and production as needed.
- Conduct foundation research, using foundation directories and web research, as needed.
Administrative support to the CDO
- Coordinate travel arrangements, make bookings, and prepare trip itineraries.
- Actively manage the CDO’s calendar, staff the CDO in meetings, and attend meetings in her absence as needed.
- Assist with expense reports, reimbursements, and other finance-related administrative tasks.
- Support the CDO in the stewardship of the President’s Council and Development Committee, including meeting minutes, reports, briefings, and scheduling.
- Draft correspondence for the CDO to donors and funders as needed.
- Bachelor degree preferred. Associate degree required.
- 1-2 years work experience required; prior development/fundraising experience a plus.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with external constituents.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a team setting.
- Ability to multi-task, meet multiple deadlines, and keep a calm demeanor in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with CRM database applications, MS Office Suite (Excel in particular) and ability to learn new applications easily. Salesforce experience a strong plus.
- Strong writing skills highly preferred.
- Interest in and/or knowledge of climate change/sustainability issues a plus.
How to Apply:
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, list of three references, and a letter describing their qualifications, interests, and potential contribution. Please include “Coordinator, Development” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Address all correspondence to:
Careers at Ceres
ATTN: Coordinator, Development
Email (preferred): email@example.com
99 Chauncy Street, 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.