GIS and Data Management Assistant – Brunswick, ME
Organization: The Nature Conservancy
Position Title: GIS and Data Management Assistant
Location: Brunswick, ME
Hours & Compensation: 12 week full time seasonal position beginning September 3, 2013. Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2013
The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Since our founding in 1951, The Nature Conservancy has protected more than 117 million acres of land and 5,000 miles of rivers worldwide — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally. We have more than 1 million members and dedicated staff working in all 50 United States and more than 30 countries around the world — we are everywhere you want to be!
The GIS and Data Management Assistant will work with the GIS Manager and other conservation staff on a wide variety of GIS and data management tasks in support of the Field Office. This is primarily an office position but, occasional opportunities to assist field crews may be available. This is a 12 week full time seasonal position beginning September 3, 2013.
Generally, GIS tasks will include data collecting, digitizing and attributing, analysis, and map design and production. Other data management tasks will include data entry, QA/QC, and summarizing for a variety of departments in the Brunswick office, including the Maine Natural Resource Conservation Program (MNRCP). Other duties may include data documentation, and analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources field
- Experience with GIS software, preferably ArcGIS 10.0 or 10.1 to digitize and edit GIS datasets, conduct analyses, and produce map products
- Experience reading and interpreting topographic maps, road maps, aerial photos, tax maps, surveys, and other sources of GIS information.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software including MS Access
- Familiarity with Maine Geography and available GIS datasets a plus
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to set priorities and balance several tasks at once; ability to work independently
How to Apply:
For more information and to apply, please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID# 41282 in the keyword search. Deadline to apply is August 1, 2013. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.