Graduate Advocacy Intern – Washington DC
Organization: Casey Trees
Position Title: Graduate Advocacy Intern
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: This is a part-time or full time, temporary position, 10-12 weeks in length (10-20 per week), starting on or after September 2, for $12 -$14/hour (commensurate with experience).
Application Deadline: August 5, 2013
The mission of Casey Trees is to restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the Nation’s Capital.
Casey Trees is looking for a Graduate Advocacy Intern to work with the Director of Planning and Design to help conceptualize and implement advocacy initiatives.
This internship is open to current graduate level students, those who have recently completed graduate studies, or those with an undergraduate degree and relevant work experience.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, enthusiastic, highly motivated individual, loves working with people, and is dedicated to advocating for trees. The candidate should have excellent research ability, superior oral and written communication skills, and the ability to outline and execute advocacy programs. Attention to detail is required.
- Assist in the creation of advocacy briefing materials for policy and development issues that impact tree canopy
- Gather and analyze budget information from several District agencies
- Assist in securing political support by leveraging existing and creating new relationships with policymakers
- Help to design and conduct outreach and advocacy events
- Co-lead advocacy training events
- Research how the District allocates funds for tree planting, tree preservation and maintenance.
- Assist in managing documentation of the team’s planning and advocacy work
- Assist in advocacy capacity building
- Help to coordinate with a coalition of partners and stakeholders when necessary
- Present on tree canopy and development issues at community meetings
- Research and maintain up-to-date information on upcoming planning meetings and community meetings with topics associated to tree canopy policy initiatives.
- Drafting organizational, policy advocacy, and supporter correspondene and managing Contact Management System (CRM)
- Assist with preparation for meetings held both at the Casey Trees Headquarters and off site.
- Other responsibilities will be assigned as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, development, environmental policy, English, communications or related field.
- A minimum 1-2 years of experience in policy research, advocacy and program implementation
- Basic regional tree and plant knowledge is preferred.
How to Apply:
Please email the following items to Maisie Hughes, Director of Planning and Design Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Available start date
- Contact information for three references
Enter “Graduate Advocacy Intern” in the subject line of the email.
Applications are due by August 5, 2013. No telephone or email inquiries please.