Senior Researcher, Globalization and Sustainable Development – Somerville, MA
Organization: Global Development and Environment Institute, Tufts University
Position Title: Senior Researcher, Globalization and Sustainable Development
Location: Somerville, MA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Grant funded position.
Application Deadline: none specified.
The Global Development and Environment Institute (GDAE) is an interdisciplinary research institute at Tufts University. The institute works to improve economic theory, education, and practice, the latter in the form of policy research. One of its most active programs is the Globalization and Sustainable Development Program. The main project of GDAE’s Research and Policy Program is the Globalization and Sustainable Development Program, which focuses on economic globalization, examining the economic, social and environmental impacts of economic integration in developing countries. The goal of the program is to identify policies and international agreements that promote sustainable development. The program’s current focus is International Investment Agreements and Sustainable Development, with priority research on the food crisis and agricultural development, investment agreements and sustainable resource management, and the growing social, economic, and environmental impact of China and other emerging economies on Latin America.
The Senior Researcher, Globalization and Sustainable Development will support that Globalization and Sustainable Development Program agenda, particularly in the areas of trade and investment agreements, in agriculture and in other sectors, and growing South-South trade and investment in Latin America.
The position includes no teaching responsibilities, but opportunities may be available for qualified candidates to teach occasional college courses. The Senior Researcher will, under the guidance of the Director of the Research and Policy Program, carry out original research, supervise a limited number of graduate students, develop public communications to promote institute research, and support GDAE’s Program Coordinator in the management of relevant grants, including providing support for grant reporting. The Senior Researcher will be encouraged to develop his/her own research projects and the grant proposals to support them.
- Master’s or advanced degree in economics or a related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience
- Data analysis/statistical software; PowerPoint; charting/graphing software; strong word processing and writing skills
- Background in international development and the environment
- Must successfully complete all appropriate background checks as required
- Ph.D. in economics or a related field preferred
- Proficiency in oral and written Spanish, experience in Latin America
- Portuguese proficiency a plus. Chinese proficiency also helpful
- Experience funding and managing projects and budgets
- Demonstrated communications skills, including the ability to write persuasively in English for both academic and non-academic audiences
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds