Intern, Climate Leaders, Science & Solutions, Legal Teams – Washington DC
Organization: Climate Reality Project
Position Titles: Intern; Climate Leaders, Science & Solutions, Legal Teams
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: Unpaid, part-time.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
The Climate Reality Project, a nonprofit organization founded by former Vice President Al Gore, is dedicated to leading a global cultural movement demanding immediate action on the climate crisis by using cutting-edge communications and grassroots strategies to educate the public about the urgency and solvability of the climate crisis.
The Climate Reality Project is looking for summer interns to work in our DC office in the following areas of discipline:
Climate Reality Leadership Corp:
The Climate Reality Leadership Corps is looking for a sharp intern to assist this program, which was initially launched by Nobel Laureate and former Vice President Al Gore in June of 2006. There are over 4,000 Climate Leaders in 100 countries.
- Coordinate presentation requests and regular correspondence with the Climate Leaders;
- Research and track Climate Leader related news;
- Assist with production and/or delivery of materials for Climate Leaders including weekly newsletter, letters to the editor, etc.;
- Assist with large-scale trainings including organizing recruitment, invitations, followup, etc.;
- Draft and execute social media opportunities.
- Experience in volunteer education and outreach.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem solving and experience working on a team.
- Basic database management (such as Blue State Digital, Salesforce, etc.).
- Experience with Excel.
- Prior work in nonprofit advocacy, the climate movement, and/or political campaigns.
- This position requires a minimum of 20 hours per week and a maximum of 40.
Science and Solutions:
The Science and Solutions is looking for an intern who will be part of a campaign to make the general public aware of climate change science, impacts and the push for clean energy solutions.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Researching climate and energy related issues.
- Summarizing reports, briefings, and hearings.
- Preparing support materials for the Climate Reality Leadership Corps.
- Preparing support materials for Climate Reality’s annual flagship event – “24 Hours of Reality.”
- Providing administrative help to the team, as needed.
- A strong interest and educational background related to climate change and energy.
- Excellent analytical research skills, strong written and oral communications skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and assignments.
- Applicants who are pursuing a degree in climate or environmental science, engineering, or public policy are encouraged to apply.
- This position requires a minimum of 15 hours per week and a maximum of 40, through October 31, 2013.
The Legal Department at Climate Reality performs the following functions:
- Provides continuing counsel and guidance to the organization and its senior management on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters related to the organization’s programs and affairs
- Serves as legal advisor on all major transactions: manages legal aspects of deals and transactions, including acquisitions, and helps negotiate legal/structural and business issues, and draft documents
- Reviews, drafts and negotiates contracts
- Develops and implements procedures necessary or advisable to satisfy the organization’s compliance objectives, including international, IRS, and lobbying compliance matters related to nonprofits
- Manages organization’s intellectual property portfolio, including owned and licensed trademarks and copyrights
- Provides counsel and guidance on employment-related matters and policies
- Develops, implements and manages legal functions to operate in conjunction with Finance, HR, and other operational teams to support the organization and enable it to fulfill its mission
Responsibilities of the Law Clerk:
- Research and prepare legal memorandums on matters relevant to the operations and programs of the organization
- Draft agreements such as contracts for services, grants, and memorandums of understanding with other organizations or entities
- Assist the legal department with reviewing and updating the organization’s policies as needed
- Prepare documents for filing with appropriate state and federal agencies
- Collect and submit evidence in support of pending domestic and international trademark registration applications
- Manage contracts database and files
- Track contracts through the contract request and approval process through execution
- Work with and maintain confidential information
- Special projects as they arise
- Excellent legal research and writing and communication skills
- Attention to detail and experience working with large Excel spreadsheets or databases
- Creative problem solving and experience working on a team
- Must be exceptionally organized and responsible
- Familiarity with using both PCs and Macs
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work a minimum of 15-20 hours per week
- Experience using SalesForce database is a plus
- Prior work in nonprofit advocacy, the climate movement, and/or educational campaigns preferred, but not required
- Completion of at least 1L year of law school
- Eligibility extends through the two years following graduation from law school
How to Apply:
Send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample, and dates of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line in the email to identify which internship position you are interested in pursuing. Applications will be accepted until a candidate is identified.