Program Associate (Policy Program/Landscape and Leaders Program) – Washington DC
Organization: EcoAgriculture Partners
Position Title: Program Associate, Policy Program/Landscape and Leaders Program
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC and will begin as soon as possible. The annual salary range for this position is $35,000 to $45,000, depending on experience. Benefits include 29 days of annual and holiday leave, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement contribution.
Application Deadline: August 11, 2013
EcoAgriculture Partners is a non-profit organization, founded in 2002 and incorporated in 2005, that works internationally to support and promote the adoption of integrated agricultural landscape management approaches (“ecoagriculture”) that increase synergies between food production, ecosystem conservation, and rural livelihoods. We build capacity and provide technical assistance for landscape initiatives involving agriculture and ecosystem management; conduct research to document impacts of integrated landscape approaches and the market innovations to support them; and support policy-makers to develop and implement effective approaches for sustainable, multi-functional rural landscapes. In addition, EcoAgriculture Partners is a co-organizer and facilitator of the Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Initiative, which aims to support and scale up the adoption of integrated agricultural landscape approaches worldwide to simultaneously meet goals for food production, ecosystem health and human well-being. For more information on the Landscapes Initiative, please visit landscapes.ecoagriculture.org.
EcoAgriculture Partners seeks to hire a Program Associate to join our committed team in our Washington, DC headquarters. The Program Associate will primarily provide support to EcoAgriculture’s Policy and Landscapes and Leaders programs. EcoAgriculture’s policy program works to increase the adoption of integrated landscape management (ecoagriculture) by influencing key policies, markets, and institutions, improving the conditions for ecoagriculture through direct advocacy and through the dissemination of policy analyses, options, and recommendations. The Landscapes and Leaders program works to strengthen the management of ecoagriculture by improving the capacities of landscape leaders in diverse organizational sectors and levels to plan, implement and evaluate landscape initiatives (programs, projects, activities) and by advancing the development and application of useful knowledge, information and tools.
The Program Associate will be responsible for supporting the following activities:
- Research and writing within the Policy and Landscape and Leaders programs on topics such as national policy, landscape governance, finance mechanisms and capacity development to support integrated landscape management,
- Strengthening national policy-makers and landscape leaders capacities as well as supportive processes and policies for integrated landscape management,
- Analysis and advocacy within relevant international policy processes such as the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, Committee on World Food Security and UN Sustainable Development Goals,
- Coordination support for the Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Working Groups on landscape strengthening, policy and/or finance.
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study such as environmental studies, agricultural development, international relations, policy or finance, public administration, sustainable development, regional planning or other related field
- At least 2 years of relevant professional work experience
- Excellent English writing and editing skills
- Highly organized, with attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of excel and other data management programs
- Experience in both web-based and academic literature searches
- Proactive, flexible and creative
- Excellent communicator
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study such as environmental studies, agricultural development, international relations, policy or finance, public administration, sustainable development, regional planning or other related field
- Familiarity with major international agricultural, rural development and environmental institutions and policy processes
- 1-2 years of work in an international setting and/or field experience in a developing country
- Experience and competence working in diverse teams
- Demonstrated experience or familiarity with development, conservation or agricultural programs or projects in developing countries
- Proficiency in at least one international language
- Strong graphic presentation skills in programs such as Powerpoint
How to Apply:
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter specifically describing your background, experience, and interest in this position; your current resume; two writing samples (maximum of five pages each); and three professional references to Abigail Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Associate – [your name]”. Review of applications will commence on August 11, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
To download these Terms of Reference as a PDF, click here.
EcoAgriculture Partners can only accept applications from candidates with the right to work in the United States.