Northeast Communications Manager, US Climate & Energy – New York NY
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: Northeast Communications Manager, US Climate & Energy
Location: New York, NY
Hours & Compensation: This is a full-time, permanent position, starting as soon as possible. Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Application Deadline: none specified
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s US Climate and Energy program seeks to help accelerate the deployment of large-scale, clean technologies into the nation’s energy system and remake the market for efficiency and innovation in order to reduce the environmental impact of energy production, delivery and use. We are working to make natural gas exploration safer and cleaner, modernize our outdated energy infrastructure and break down the regulatory and financial barriers to broad-scale adoption of renewable energy, energy efficiency and other innovative ways to generate, distribute and use energy.
The Northeast Communications Manager will work with experts in EDF’s New York office to develop, implement and manage strategic communications plans in order to advance the goals of Environmental Defense Fund, helping to achieve policy objectives and maintain EDF’s leadership role on environmental and energy policy in the Northeast. He/she will also assist the Communications Director of the US Climate and Energy program with national communications initiatives as necessary.
The position will be full-time and based in New York City. An ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of the legislative process and regional politics, along with an interest in energy and environmental issues in the Northeast. The Northeast Communications Manager will often play the role of a generalist utilizing skill sets in basic graphic and web design, video editing, political strategy and technical and persuasive writing.
The Northeast Communications Manager will report to the Communications Director for the US Climate and Energy Program, and work closely with the New York Regional Director and other New York staff on policy issues related to environmental and energy policy in the Northeast. The Northeast Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing regional environmental and energy policy-related communications strategies and outreach materials including press conferences, one-on-one meetings with the media and opinion leaders (i.e. elected officials, appointed officials, etc.), press releases, editorial board meetings, placing and writing opinion editorials, writing and promoting blogs and social media promotion;
- Managing Northeast region-related content on EDF’s Energy Exchange blog and @EDFEnergyEX Twitter handle;
- Building and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, as well as with other opinion leaders in the Northeast;
- Garnering, tracking and marketing earned media exposure in regional media outlets;
- Researching and pitching EDF experts for thought-leading environment and energy-related speaking events across the region; and
- Helping to maintain electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities and for targeted branding efforts in the Northeast;
- Monitoring press response to breaking news and legislative events in the Northeast;
- Generating regional environmental and energy policy-related news stories on a systematic basis for feature coverage;
- Cultivating and maintaining regional reporter relationships, and creating/distributing press materials under deadline pressure;
- Developing and executing long-term strategic Northeast communications planning while maintaining an opportunistic approach to daily, breaking news events; and
- Serving the communications needs of the regional US Climate and Energy experts, development and communications staff; and
- Assisting the Communications Director of the US Climate and Energy program with national communications initiatives as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or marketing; Master’s degree is a plus
- A minimum of seven years communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets required
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Internet required
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications preferred
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach preferred
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience preferred
- Familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred (i.e. Vocus, etc.)
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills
- Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.)
- Excellent telephone, oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
How to Apply:
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer