Farm to Market Manager – Walton, NY
Organization: Watershed Agricultural Council
Position Title: Farm to Market Manager
Location: Walton, NY
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary: Low to mid $50,000s.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin August 30, 2013.
The Watershed Agricultural Council (also known as “WAC” or “the Council”) works with farm and forest landowners in the New York City Watershed region to protect water quality on behalf of nine million New York residents. The Council uses
- Whole Farms Plans
- Forest Management Plans
- Conservation Easements
to help farmers, forest professionals and private landholders address water pollution concerns on properties located in the Croton and Catskill/Delaware Watersheds.
The Watershed Agricultural Council, a non profit organization working to protect the NYC Watershed while supporting farm and forest land uses, is seeking a Farm to Market Manager to implement the Farm to Market/Pure Catskills component of the Farm to Market Program (FtM), designed to enhance the economic viability of farms in the New York City Watershed Region by increasing the availability and sale of products grown in and sold from this region.
- Implement and expand upon the development of the Pure Catskills branding and Buy Local campaign including the oversight of the farm Product Guide (online and print) development and distribution as well as other membership services.
- Develop and Implement the Pure Catskills On-Line Store.
- Coordinate and apply resources to help agricultural producers develop profitable farms that are operated consistent with WAC values through:Work with and report out to the appropriate Committee(s), partners of the WAC and the general agricultural community to advance the goals of the program.
- Working with producer groups to facilitate delivery of Farm to Market services.
- Identifying viable local product availability, quantity and quality.
- Providing services that support product innovation, production, marketing, and sales to meet market demand.
- Collaborate closely with New York City Department of Environmental Protection and other Funders on the implementation of the program.
- Identify and seek grants and other resources to implement and expand the Farm to Market Program.
- Manage program funds consistent with WAC policy.
- Supervises Staff as assigned.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and integrates the Farm to Market work principally with that of the economic viability strategy of WAC.
- Reports to the Farm to Market Committee to ensure accountability.
- Bachelors degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Experience specific to the duties and responsibilities as described below.
- Experience in agricultural economic development and/or local food systems.
- Experience working with farmers.
- Extensive project management experience and the demonstrated ability to work cooperatively to coordinate the activities of diverse groups and individuals.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience directly related to this work.
- Skills related to online content management and webpage development.Writing skills – both promotional and technical/economic development
- Contribute, database management
- Event planning and management and public speaking.
- Strong knowledge of local food trends and marketing opportunities.
- Must have a valid and current driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to:
Watershed Agricultural Council
33195 State Highway 10
Walton NY 13856
Or e-mail: email@example.com