Staff Writer – Washington DC
Organization: Island Press – Center for Resource Economics
Position Title: Staff Writer
Location: Washington DC
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary commensurate with experience. Medical, dental, retirement, flexible scheduling.
Application Deadline: none specified
Founded in 1984, we work with leading scientists and practitioners to provide the best ideas and information in the field to those seeking to understand and protect the environment and create solutions to its complex problems. We accomplish this by publishing information in print, in person and online through books, events, briefings, blogs, webinars, and other types of interaction. Through our work we connect science with policymakers and practitioners, enabling them to make informed decisions.
Island Press is looking for a professional writer who can effectively communicate science, policy and economics to a wide range of audiences. Island Press works primarily in five areas: energy and climate; oceans and water; ecosystems; policy, law and economics; and the built environment.
The writer will be part of the organization’s development department, but support the entire organization as needed. The principal activities of the writer are to draft and lead revisions of materials used to solicit financial support from individuals and foundations, such as concept papers, proposals, reports, solicitation letters, and other institutional communications. The full range of activities may include:
- FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATIONS: institutional communications, such as the annual report; grant proposals and reports; concept papers and letters of inquiry; solicitation and cultivation letters; and other fundraising materials.
- Other content as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with grant writing and background in fundraising preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Superlative interpretive, synthetic, and collaborative capacity
- Three to five years of experience writing about science issues, preferably with an environmental focus
- Ability to interpret, distill, and reconcile diverse perspectives from multiple parties through successive rounds of drafting and revision
- Understanding of development best practices and how they relate to overarching fundraising goals
- Ability to clearly and concisely describe program activities and goals
- Ability to analyze and compile budget information for proposal and reporting purposes
- Sophisticated understanding of how audience and purpose influence individual writing projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word
How to Apply:
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and writing sample firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of Island Press Staff Writer. No calls.