Organization: United Nations Development Programme
Position Title: Development Writers/Editors, Long Term Agreement
Hours and Compensation: 1 year initial contract
Application Deadline: September 2, 2013
As a trusted and neutral multilateral partner serving 177 countries and territories around the world, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is uniquely positioned to advocate for transformative change, connect countries to the knowledge and resources they require to promote sustainable human development and to coordinate the efforts of the United Nations at the country level.
- Master’s Degree in development studies and social sciences, journalism, communications, international relations or other development or communications-related area of study;
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a writer/editor producing/editing relevant publications and products;
- Experience in writing for media outlets, development-related organizations, research centres, think-tanks or multilateral institutions required;
- Substantive understanding of and/or background in one or more of the following areas of specialization: poverty reduction and achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the process to define a post-2015 development agenda; democratic governance; sustainable development, environment and energy; HIV/AIDS, health and development; gender equality and women’s empowerment; and knowledge, innovation and capacity development;
- Proven record in advanced copy editing and/or producing knowledge in the area of sustainable, human development and international development;
- Knowledge of UN, including UNDP terminology, language and style an advantage.
- Complete fluency in English (written and oral).
How to Apply
- Mandatory submission of UNDP Personal History form P11. A personal CV is welcome in addition.
- Samples of work you consider to be the best and most relevant examples of at least two of the following categories.
The total number of samples should not exceed 6.
- An opinion/news article written and/or edited by the candidate;
- An advocacy or outreach-related product (brochure/booklet/press kit) written and/or edited by the candidate;
- A development-related publication or knowledge product written and/or edited by the candidate.
- The P11 form can be downloaded at the following web address: http://sas.undp.org/documents/p11_personal_history_form.doc; (copy and paste link into browser)
- The candidate must specify if she/he was solely responsible for producing or editing each of the above materials;
- Please provide the samples in a document with internet links;
- Please note that if internet links are not available, the candidate must otherwise submit the relevant content by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sample Work for Writer/Editor Long Term Agreement 2013”.