Position Title: Finance Coordinator
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by August 23.
Rare is a $20 million fast-growing, international conservation organization that runs state-of-the-art communication and outreach projects which empower local communities with the tools to solve their own conservation challenges. Rare believes that conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. And so, conservationists must become as skilled in social change as in science; as committed to community-based solutions as national and international policymaking. Rare and its partners in 50+ countries throughout these regions are committed to designing conservation programs that benefit both people and nature – ensuring that change is embraced and sustained.
Our programs are designed to benefit people and nature. We train and support local conservation leaders to implement Pride campaigns, which are social marketing campaigns that inspire people to take pride in the species and habitats that make their communities unique, while also giving them alternatives to environmentally destructive behaviors such as overfishing, illegal logging, unsustainable agriculture and poaching.
The Finance Coordinator is a key member of our growing finance and operations team. The Finance Coordinator’s primary duties involve cash management (deposits, payments and forecasting models), financial reporting and analysis for all levels of the organization, responding to staff on operational and financial issues and providing support to the Finance VP and Director. High proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required. In order to carry out the primary duties of the role, the Finance Coordinator will exercise discretion and evaluate possible courses of conduct after various possibilities have been considered. This role is ideal for a highly organized, customer service-oriented individual who is eager to grow and contribute to a fast-growing, high-performing global nonprofit. Excellent excel skills, including the use of pivot tables, graphing and a fundamental understanding of visual basic for excel are a must.
The Finance Coordinator will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
- Coordinates Rare Finance and Operations’ communications and logistics with the board and assists in the preparation of quarterly board reports.
- Compiles monthly financial reports for budget owners.
- Reviews and verifies financial documents; maintains financial and other business records.
- Audits expense reports and ensures timely reimbursement to Rare employees.
- Answers inquiries and provides information to staff on institutional financial policies and procedures.
- Manages cash receipts and check/wire payment processes including coordinating and reporting with internal departments, recording related transactions in the financial management systems, ensuring compliance with policy and procedures.
- Manages departmental balanced scorecard processes and updates.
- Assist with cohort opening and closing process as it pertains to financial management.
- Assist in budget and grants management tasks as requested.
- Prepares various financial or administrative reports as requested.
- Provides support to financial team in the management and coordination of special projects as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 1+ year administrative support experience in an office environment with exposure to financial transactions and basic accounting functions strongly preferred. High proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to manage deadlines independently.
- Superb attention to detail and proven ability to execute highly specific tasks.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work independently and meet deadlines. Flexibility to adapt to changing workloads/management schedules and strong multi-tasking/prioritization skills are required.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and exhibit a high degree of professionalism, resourcefulness, tact, and diplomacy.
- Unflappable enthusiasm, impeccable customer service, and ability to engage and collaborate with all levels within the organization.
- Initiative to take on new projects and continually exhibit a proactive attitude towards all tasks.
- Enthusiasm for Rare’s mission and respect for its values, culture and people.
- Spanish, Mandarin, Bahasa Indonesian, and/or French language skills a plus.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge of the global NGO environmental landscape helpful.
How to Apply
Please include your resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Please mention how you learned of this opportunity, note your historical salary levels and you must include your expected salary for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by August 23.