California Economic & Environmental Research Fellowship
Organization: Next 10
Position Title: Economic & Environmental Research Fellowship
Location: San Francisco, California
Hours and Compensation: Competitive compensation and full benefits will support the fellow. The fellowship is full-time and begins in the fall and lasts one year.
Application Deadline: none given
The Economic & Environmental Research Fellowship at Next 10 will support the work of an individual with an advanced degree in economics or a related field. The Next 10 Fellowship is supporting a new research position that will add to our small team working to educate and engage Californians on issues relating to the intersection of the economy, the environment, and an improved quality of life for all Californians. This non-profit Fellowship is being offered for the first time by Next 10 and is an exciting opportunity to help increase the organization’s visibility as well as expand our current capacity.
The Economic & Environmental Research Fellow will work independently to develop original research under the direction of the Program Director. The position’s primary responsibilities will be to 1) provide publishable research and analysis to advance the organization’s mission, and 2) advise on innovative new research areas for the organization to consider. The Research Fellow will produce independent research briefs along with and outreach and communications (blog posts, etc.) to promote Next 10 research, review research prepared by outside experts for Next 10, and will provide background research on various project/issue areas being considered by the organization.
- Maintain a working knowledge of climate and energy policy issues and research, prepare background research on potential new research areas that are under consideration by the organization, and conduct literature reviews and summaries of relevant economic, environmental, and policy research
·Draft and edit reports, research briefs, white papers, fact sheets, and blog posts as directed, and revise products as necessary for publication
·Collect and analyze data, including data on economic performance from our site www.compare50.org, and produce top-quality economic analysis as well as environmental research on approved subject areas
- Ensure that written materials published by the organization are technically accurate and credible; up to date with respect to relevant laws, policies, and economics; and accessibly communicated
- Prepare and present both original research and key findings from other Next 10 research and projects to diverse audiences
·Participate with Next 10’s communication consultants and staff in the media release of Next 10 reports and to identify key media opportunities
- Work with the rest of the office on various projects
·Graduate degree in economics or a closely related field
·Experience in a research position with strong quantitative, analytical and data skills
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex subject matter to a broad audience in terms that non-experts can understand, and communicate effectively with senior level stakeholders, expert researchers, economists, and other consultants and colleagues
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, and a willingness to both take initiative and direction
- Commitment to Next 10’s mission and to working in a nonpartisan environment
- Knowledge and focus on California’s economic and environmental performance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as statistical analysis software
Additional Desired Skills
- A PhD in economics or a closely related field is not required but would be preferred
- In-depth knowledge about the California economy
- Project management experience
- Experience presenting research findings to various audiences
- Ability to produce maps, charts, and tables for reports
- Proficiency in speaking Spanish or Chinese
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and brief writing sample to email@example.com with “CEERF position” as the subject line. No phone calls please.