Education Outreach Coordinator- Hudson Valley, NY
Organization: Scenic Hudson
Position Title: Education Outreach Coordinator
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Hours and Compensation: Full time with competitive salary and benefits
Application Deadline: not given
Scenic Hudson is guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
The Parks Team is guided by these major outcomes: Scenic Hudson parks
- connect people to the Hudson River and Scenic Hudson,
- teach and inspire,
- are models of environmental stewardship.
Reporting to: Director of Parks. Scenic Hudson is a leading organization focused on protecting Hudson Valley landscapes and providing public access to them for recreation and education. This position will optimize the public’s use of Scenic Hudson parks and preserves for educational purposes by leading and coordinating educational activities and promoting these places for this purpose. Knowledge of the ecology and natural history of the Hudson River Valley and a desire to help people of all ages learn about and connect with their environment.
- Dedicate approximately 75% of the job to outreach and coordination of educational activities in our parks facilitated by others and 25% to developing and leading educational activities in our parks.
- Develop an education strategy and execute an action plan that promotes and utilizes Scenic Hudson parks as places for learning activities for a variety of users.
- Initiate, cultivate and retain relationships with all types of individuals and groups who might use the parks for education, such as: teachers, school administrators, educational groups, community-based organizations, businesses, Scenic Hudson supporters, etc.
- Evaluate and develop written educational materials for use by teachers, other educators, families and the general public.
- Develop and manage annual budget specific to education programming.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the programming.
- Respond to school and public inquiries regarding education opportunities
- Support development staff in fundraising efforts and grant reporting related to educational programming.
- Supervise Student Conservation Association (SCA) Educational Coordinator Assistant intern.
- Work with Parks Event and Volunteer Coordinator to plan and assist with community and public events including, but not limited to, Scenic Hudson’s Learn and Serve and Citizen Science activities.
- Assist other members of the Parks Team as needed.
- Represent Scenic Hudson in the Hudson Valley education community.
- Mature and reliable individual with outstanding organizational and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited university with background in education, ecology, natural history, environmental interpretation preferred.
- Five years of increasing responsibility in leading and coordinating outdoor education programming for a range of groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to write and speak in a clear, engaging and professional manner.
- Demonstrated networking, team-building, research, coordination, and multi-tasking skills.
- Experience building relationships with school districts, community- based organizations, elected officials, government agencies, representatives of corporations and foundations, and the general public.
- Knowledge of Hudson Valley regional education community.
- Practical knowledge of teaching in non-classroom/outdoor settings.
- A valid New York driver’s license and own transportation.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification obtained no later than two months from start date.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.