Communications Director- Orleans, CA
Organization: Klamath Riverkeeper
Position Title: Communications Director
Location: Orleans, CA
This position can be based anywhere in northern California or southern Oregon, however, priority will be given to applicants who wish to reside within commuting distance of Orleans, CA. We may be able to help the successful applicant find low-cost housing (i.e. less than $400/month). This is a very remote, spectacularly beautiful region of far Northwest California where California’s three largest Native American tribes are actively engaged in resource management decisions.
Hours and Compensation: The position can be .75 FTE or full time depending on applicant. Klamath Riverkeeper offers competitive salaries, health insurance, three weeks paid vacation during the first year of employment, professional development, and a flexible schedule.
Application Deadline: not given
Klamath Riverkeeper seeks a highly motivated tech-savvy individual who will overhaul and oversee our online communications and advocacy and our membership program. This individual also will assist with publications, media support, and potentially media relations. The exact responsibilities of this position can be tailored based on qualifications
• Circulate action alerts, petitions, and bi-annual e-newsletter.
• Maintain and expand social media presence and integrate it with action alerts, petitions and website.
• Update website as needed. (Note: Applicant must know or be eager to learn basic WordPress. We’re issuing a separate contract for website redesign.)
Member & Constituent Relations
• Manage constituent database.
• Ensure accurate processing of new members.
• Coordinate member recruitment and retention with Program Assistant.
• Maintain online membership recruitment platforms including donation processing.
• Organize and attend public events in coordination with Program Assistant.
• Maintain and produce inventory of merchandise for member gifts and resale.
• Edit various printed materials.
• It’s a plus, but not required, if you can design & layout bi-annual newsletter, flyers, facts sheets, posters, etc.
• Monitor news coverage and maintain up-to-date media contact lists.
• Additional media relations responsibilities depending on experience (not required).
• Commitment to environmental and racial justice and experience with public-interest advocacy for non-profits &/or tribal governments.
• Proficiency with online advocacy including e-mail marketing, action alerts, petitions, etc., preferably using SalsaLabs (AKA Democracy in Action) or another Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) service.
• Proficiency with MS Excel – sorting, merging, eliminating duplicates and mail merge into MS Word for large snail mailings.
Beneficial, but not required:
• WordPress for website updates.
• Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
• Campaign platforms such as Causes.com, SignOn.org and/or Change.org.
• Media relations and/or media databases such as Vocus or Cision.
• Working with Native American communities.
• Water policy and/or Klamath River issues.
How to Apply
**Please apply by emailing a single PDF document, labelled with your name and including your resume and cover letter, to email@example.com
In your cover letter, please address the required qualifications listed above (i.e. online advocacy & Excel) and any beneficial qualifications you have (i.e. InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress, campaigning platforms, etc.). We will ask qualified applicants to provide references and writing samples, but not during the first stage of the application process. No phone calls please.