West Coast Program Director- Berkeley, CA
Organization: Physicians Scientists & Engineers for Healthy Energy
Position Title: West Coast Program Director
Location: Berkeley, CA
Hours and Compensation: not given
Application Deadline: not given
Physicians Scientists & Engineers for Healthy Energy (PSE) is a science-based nonprofit organization dedicated to supplying sound evidence-based, scientific information and resources on shale gas and tight oil development, the transition to renewable energy portfolios, and other energy-related topics. We have offices in Ithaca and New York City, NY and Berkeley, CA. PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, advocacy groups, the media, policy makers, and politicians by generating, translating, and disseminating accurate, scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on the crucial issue of healthy and sustainable energy at the intersection of science and policy.
The West Coast Program Director of PSE will help to grow our efforts to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy issues including oil and gas development (i.e., ‘fracking’ and other enhanced oil recovery processes) and renewable energy transitions. The Program Director should therefore see this as an opportunity to help to shape our work in this effort and make PSE the premiere organization that provides unbiased, science-based information on the environmental, climate, and public health dimensions of energy production and its interaction with policy.
The primary requirements for this position are integrity, a solid scientific training in a field related to PSE’s mission, proven leadership ability, a keen interest in improving the public’s understanding of science, experience working at the science-policy interface, and a proven record of being able to work independently. The PSE West Coast Program Director will have many roles including being a public face of the organization.
- A leadership role: Comfort in working closely with scientists and science-based based professionals, testifying to policymakers, addressing the public, and engaging in media activities.
- A scientific role: Strong scientific investigation skills; ability to identify research gaps and design studies to answer scientific questions; ability to articulate and translate relevant scientific literature into lay language; support the development of the research community on emerging scientific questions.
- A professional role: Proven ability to interact and engage with physicians, engineers and other evidence-based professionals in addressing their need for unbiased, science-derived information.
- An educational role: Able to oversee and execute professional educational programs and interactions with the academy; A proven ability to communicate scientific concepts to citizens, policymakers, advocacy groups, and the media.
- A management role: Help in the administration of a growing organization, its program associates, and volunteers.
The program director must encompass all these roles and integrate them to help to make PSE the trusted organization to which people turn when they want unbiased information about the benefits and risks of technologies and processes of energy production.
PhD, M.D. or other doctorate in energy, climate science, environmental science and policy, public health, or other related discipline preferred. Masters degrees will be considered. 5+ years working in her/his field of expertise.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Please put “WEST COAST POSITION” in the subject line.