Executive Director- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Organization: Milwaukee Riverkeeper
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: September, 9 2013
The Executive Director of Milwaukee Riverkeeper acts as Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for overseeing the mission, programs and day-to-day operations of the organization. The Executive Director is the chief ambassador and fundraiser for the organization, and s/he is responsible for ensuring that the organization builds programs that advance its mission, secures the resources it needs to succeed and manages funds efficiently and effectively. The Executive Director is supervised by the Board of Directors and directs the work of the staff.
The Executive Director should be prepared to lead an established, and highly -respected environmental organization to new levels of reach and impact. S/he must be able to work collaboratively with local and statewide partners in the advancement of Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s mission. S/he should have a proven track record in fundraising and development, cultivating major donors and ensuring the financial integrity of the organization.
Leadership and Management responsibilities
- Work with Board to plan, develop and implement projects that further Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s mission. This includes strategic planning and annual work plans.
- Serve as chief administrator and ambassador for the organization.
- Manage staff to ensure efficient business operations and coordination of programs.
- Establish and maintain a harmonious work environment. This includes responsibility for staff relations, efficient office procedures, human resources policies and opportunities for staff development.
- Provide leadership and motivate others (staff, Board, volunteers, etc.) in the framework of a team environment.
- Work with the Board President to develop Board, Executive Committee, and other Board committees.
Fund Development and Financial management responsibilities
- Serve as chief fundraiser for the organization. This includes grant writing and/or overseeing proposals developed by staff; solicitation of corporate sponsorships for events; cultivation and solicitation of individuals, including major donors.
- Work with Board to develop annual budget, monitor finances and arrange for audit. Ensure that state and federal taxes and reports are filed in a timely fashion.
- Work with Board to develop an annual fundraising plan to meet budgetary needs, as well as a plan to grow the organization’s reserve fund and endowment.
- Successfully secure and maintain individual, major philanthropic gifts.
- Work with Board to achieve individual, corporate, foundation, government and event fundraising goals.
- Address current and future grant identification, writing and reporting requirements.
- Work with Board to develop annual budget, monitor finances and arrange for audit.
- Develop mutually beneficial relationships with other regional environmental and community organizations and leaders by gaining their respect and creating opportunities for collaboration.
- Manage cash flow for the organization, authorize payments of bills and see that bank deposits are made in a timely fashion.
Community and Public Relations responsibilities
- Serve as leader in sustaining existing and building new relationships with other environmental and community organizations, including government and business entities and leaders. This includes targeting opportunities for collaboration where appropriate.
- Work with Board to target opportunities to heighten community awareness of Milwaukee Riverkeeper through communication, marketing and outreach efforts.
- Support the Riverkeeper as the primary spokesperson for Milwaukee’s rivers and serve as a public advocate as well. Work with the Milwaukee Riverkeeper to ensure that public statements of the Riverkeeper, Executive Director, staff and Board members are consistent with organizational policy and priorities.
- Seek out and maximize opportunities to speak at a variety of venues.
- Effectively communicate the designated Riverkeeper’s findings with all external constituencies.
- Promote and model empowerment by engaging Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s grassroots network in environmental concerns.
- Monitor and evaluate collaborations with other organizations to ensure consistency with organizational goals.
- Maintain awareness of environmental issues in the watershed in general and programmatically targeted areas in particular.
- Promote empowerment and stewardship by engaging Milwaukee Riverkeeper volunteers in river cleanups, water quality monitoring programs and other opportunities to connect with the rivers.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Significant management and supervisory experience.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization and culture.
- Understanding of board of director relations and governance practices.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s mission
How to Apply
For full consideration for this position, all of the following materials must be received no later than 9:00a.m. CSTon Monday, September9, 2013:
1) A letter of interest describing your qualifications for the Executive Director position and your interest in Milwaukee Riverkeeper;
2) A description of your salary parameters;
3) A detailed and updated resume and
4) The names of, your relationship to, and contact information for, three professional references.
Please email all of the above listed materials to: MRK8@leadingtransitions.com
Mindy Lubar Price, President and CEO
Leading Transitions LLC, Search MRK8
544 E. Ogden Avenue, Suite 700-350, Milwaukee, WI 53202
414.228.9860 (phone) 414.228.9862 (fax)