Campaign Organizer- Cove Point, MD
Organization: Chesapeake Climate Action Network
Position Title: Campaign Organizer
Location: Cove Point, MD
Hours and Compensation: Contract, 5 months, $3000/month
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted n an ongoing basis.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the first grassroots, nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting global warming in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Our mission is to build and mobilize a powerful grassroots movement and use our proximity to the nation’s capital to push for state, national and international policies that will put us on a path to climate stability.
CCAN is hiring an organizer to ramp up our campaign to halt a project that would be the largest climate polluter in Maryland – the Cove Point Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Export Terminal – right on the coast of the Chesapeake Bay.
The natural gas industry is proposing a dangerous and costly detour from our clean energy future: exporting fracked natural gas to overseas markets. These proposals are popping up all over the country. In the Mid-Atlantic, Dominion Resources is proposing the development of the Cove Point LNG export facility in Southern Maryland.
CCAN is launching an exciting and fast-paced campaign to stop this proposal in its tracks. We’ll be building a large coalition of local, statewide, and national groups opposed to Cove Point and activating thousands of citizens to take action. A decision on the project is expected in the next year, making it one of the most urgent climate fights in the country.
We take on the region’s worst climate polluters and fight for the most effective clean energy policies. If you’re looking for a group that will push you, inspire you and give you tons of responsibility, we’d love to meet you. We are seeking a talented and energetic organizer for a 5-month contract to continue our work building an active movement fighting the Cove Point Liquefied Natural Gas Export facility in Calvert County. The Organizer reports to the Healthy Communities Campaign Director and coordinates with other CCAN staff to implement campaign plans.
The Organizer will build an active, visible, climate advocacy movement in the region by:
- Mobilizing residents to make their voices heard through petitions, phone calls and in-person campaign actions
- Recruiting and training volunteers throughout Calvert County to be effective campaign advocates
- Developing teams of volunteer leaders to take ownership in implementing CCAN’s campaigns
- Planning, organizing and executing campaign events, small and large
- Working with existing coalition partners, maintaining and building those relationships, as well as expanding our base of allies
- Gaining media attention for campaign efforts
This is the right job for you if:
- You’re passionate about stopping climate change
- You believe that grassroots organizing is crucial to winning short- and long-term victories
- You have organized on your campus or in your community, achieving results and thriving on the work
- You have experience recruiting individuals, developing leaders and team-building
- You are knowledgeable about advocacy campaigning and are eager to learn more
- You are just as excited to organize creative actions as you are to meet ambitious petition goals
- You are an effective communicator, able to inspire different types of people to take action through both written and verbal communication
- You are self-motivated and a problem-solver
- You have a B.A. or B.S. or equivalent organizing experience – grassroots organizing training is a plus!
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter in MS Word or PDF format with “Campaign Organizer – Cove Point” in the subject line to Leslie Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. This posting will be removed immediately when the position is filled. If this posting is live, please feel confident that your application will be considered!*