Senior Bioenergy Campaigner- Washington DC
Organization: Friends of the Earth
Position Title: Senior Bioenergy Campaigner
Location: Washington DC
1100 15th Street NW, 11th Floor, Washington, District of Columbia, 20005
Hours and Compensation: Full time temporary: Through December 24, 2013
Application Deadline: not given
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s Climate and Energy Program challenges the root causes of the burgeoning climate crisis. As part of this effort we are tackling the continued reliance on fossil fuels while refusing to let the drive for non-fossil energy lead to the pollution of our air and water or further threats to our health. We promote energy efficiency and truly clean energy while fighting to end our unhealthy dependence on dirty energy sources such as coal, oil, nuclear and corn ethanol.
Within the Climate and Energy Program, our Bioenergy Campaign is focused on curbing the use of first generation bioenergy, including corn and sugar cane ethanol, ensuring that any future bioenergy sources are truly sustainable, and making sure that the use of biomass for electricity includes adequate environmental safeguards. The Senior Bioenergy Campaigner will lead an intense short term effort to shape bioenergy policy to promote truly sustainable bioenergy solutions and moves us beyond harmful bioenergy sources.
Friends of the Earth is seeking a talented and dedicated individual to join our Climate and Energy Programing the middle of an intense push on bioenergy policy through December 24th.
- Implement strategic campaign plan in conjunction with the Climate and Energy Director, Communications team and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate a coalition with a wide variety of allies (environmental, conservative, free market, taxpayer groups, etc.).
- Conduct research and analysis to develop reports, articles, factsheets, web content and other campaign materials on fossil fuel subsidies to educate allies, opinion leaders, policymakers, the press, and the public.
- Represent Friends of the Earth with members of Congress and their staff, the administration and outside opinion leaders.
- Represent Friends of the Earth with the media to support campaign objectives and reach key audiences.
- Keep abreast of developments on bioenergy policy and technologies including analyzing legislative proposals and administrative actions.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Seven or more years of experience in policy advocacy at the federal state or federal level on energy or transportation issues, including at least four at the federal level.
Desired Skills and Knowledge
Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse coalition of allies and partners from across the political spectrum.
- Knowledge and understanding of bioenergy issues and policies.
- Experience lobbying Congress and knowledge of legislative and executive branch processes.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, coalition building, public speaking, research, and communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among colleagues and external partners and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and comfort presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, and government officials.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter, resume, salary requirement and a short writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Senior Bioenergy Campaigner.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.