Environmental Public Health Internship- Cameroon
Organization: Social Development International
Position Title: Environmental Public Health Internship
Location: Bonduma Village,, Near the Community Hall, Buea, South-West, P.O. Box 44, Cameroon
Hours and Compensation: 25 hrs/wk, unpaid
At this time, Social Development International does not have sufficient means to support the position of volunteer/intern. The position is open for any qualified individual who is willing to self-fund and fundraise to cover his or her costs for a minimum 02 month stay in Buea, Southwest Regions, Cameroon. In exchange, Social Development International will provide the individual invaluable experience in on-the-ground international development work. Social Development International is also willing to work with an individual to help submit a grant application for fundraising for this position.
Application Deadline: not given
We are a small yet highly motivated passionate International local based not for profit, non governmental, charity organisation that provides education, health, advocacy and charity for the poor and underprivileged people and communities.
SODEIT is a volunteer driven Organisation, funded by individuals, foundations, organizations’ and corporations that support its mission; based in Cameroon. It aims to improve opportunities for children, caregivers and youths in risky and vulnerable situations through better education/training, health, advocacy, charity, participatory development and good governance.
Our work is based on a collective commitment to support the principles of the United Nations Global Compact, Earth Charter International, United Nations Economic and social Council and other partners to fulfill the Millennium Development Goals. We therefore have an integrated approach to sustainable community development.
Volunteer/intern will focus on infectious diseases, food safety, water safety, work place health and safety, and community infrastructure and pollution control.
Attached/seconded to a local government,-environmental public health department for 3/4 days and 2/1 day to the field weekly on Environmental Health education talks and practical illustration of environmental health safety practices.
-Ensure an acceptable standard of health care is being maintained throughout the community
– undertake appropriate action concerning environmental protection to provide a safe environment for the community of Buea
– investigate cases of infectious disease and ensure appropriate action is taken
– liaise and consult with statutory authorities and other governing bodies on matters concerning the health and well being of the community
– prepare and provide educational lectures and workshops to schools, communities and other relevant areas of the public
– conduct research into Environmental health issues affecting the area of Buea and implement strategies, policies, and reports where appropriate.
– support the development of sustainable objectives at a capacity for addressing day to day public health needs.
– facilitate, develop and evaluate immunization strategies and other prevention strategies such as vaccines, vector control and safe water to achieve disease reduction goals
– work with partners and supportive organisations to enhance health security and to prevent the spread and transmission of infectious disease within Buea
– conduct research to aid in the identification, development and delivery of new interventions to support and improve public health across Buea
– identify and address the best practices to strengthen the public health system in Buea.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Qualification in environmental health, public health or allied health or related field
- Sound knowledge of environmental pollution, sanitation, hygiene, communicable diseases
- Ability to conduct ongoing research and develop education material on environmental safety with industries or disease outbreak management and livelihood development for disaster victims.
- Ability to coordinate and teach large groups
- Experience in public speaking and/or facilitating large groups
- Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams
Additional Beneficial Skills and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate Degree in relevant field
- Have lived and worked in a developing country, preferably in Africa
- Knowledge of Cameroonian Pidgin-English and/or French is an added advantage
How to Apply
If interested, or for more information, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com