Director of CMI, NRDC- New York City
Organization: Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC)
Position Title: Director of the Center for Market Innovation (CMI)
Location: 40 West 20th Street, 11th Floor, New York, New York, 10011, United States
Hours and Compensation: full-time
Application Deadline: not given
Founded in 1970, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has become one of the most effective environmental advocacy organizations in the world. Over the years, we have grown to include a staff of over 400 lawyers, economists, scientists, and other experts working out of offices in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Beijing to bring law, science and the force of 1.3 million members and online activists to bear in helping write and enact some of the nation’s bedrock environmental laws.
The Center for Market Innovation (CMI) is NRDC’s private sector-trained, market-facing team that seeks to drive capital to scalable market solutions that address the most important environmental problems.
CMI’s focus is on areas where market fundamentals inherently create the opportunity for profitable investments. The current work addresses building energy efficiency, clean energy finance, green infrastructure, and sustainable food and agriculture.
CMI works with the business community to: a) identify a value proposition and a business solution; b) launch one or more demonstration projects that demonstrate success, as measured by a business case that is compelling to private sector investors; c) communicate the technical and economic results to targeted constituents; and d) develop strategies that lead to replication and scale.
Where appropriate, CMI will work with government agencies and non-profit partners, to effect policy or regulatory changes, or to pilot new institutional arrangements, but always with the goal of mobilizing the private sector.
The CMI Director will have responsibility for assuring the cohesive, productive and continued development of CMI, including strategy, funding, and external recognition.
The Director will also have the following areas of specific responsibility:
- The Director will be responsible for setting priorities and developing budgets as well as deployment of CMI team members against specific projects.
- The Director will have overall responsibility for fundraising and assuring the productive and continuous development of CMI.
- The Director will be responsible for the management and the professional development of CMI team members. The team will consist of a core of full-time professionals, including project leaders, complemented with fellows and contract staff, each focused on specific CMI projects. The objective of the professional development will be to increase the capacity of CMI team as individual professionals and as a team to originate, develop, execute, lead, achieve funding for, and scale CMI projects, work with stakeholders, and achieve external recognition for leadership and impact.
- The Director will build partnerships with other parts of NRDC – Energy, Water, Food and Ag, and Urban Solutions, among others. More generally, the CMI Director will be interacting at a senior level on institutional matters and advising the Director of Programs, Executive Director, President, and the Board of Directors and others as necessary and requested.
- 15+ years of experience, including leadership roles in business or finance or equivalent settings
- Demonstrated leadership and creativity in problem solving, project development, and achieving scale
- Advanced degree in business, law, economics or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to achieve team success
- Ability to raise funds from diverse sources
- Superior communications skills, including exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated success in engaging multiple and diverse stakeholders
- Commitment to and knowledge of environmental issues
How to Apply
To apply, please visit us at http://www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter.
No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org