Sustainability Specialist-Riverside, CA
Organization: UC Riverside
Position Title: Sustainability Specialist
Location: Riverside, CA
Hours and Compensation: 2 year contract $36,500-$55,661
Application Deadline: ?
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #8 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2012-13). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life. UCR is ranked 46th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2012-13) and is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff.
Under the general direction of the Director of Sustainability, the Sustainability Specialist administers the Waste Diversion Education Program to include data collection, analysis, reporting, training, and communication. The Specialist is also responsible for peer education, advertising, and outreach to promote sustainability initiatives, recruit student volunteers, increase awareness of campus programs, and plan weekly outreach and special events. The Specialist maintains the department’s social media presence by updating the department’s website and blog page.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sustainability, Environmental Studies, or a related field and a minimum of one year of experience performing sustainability research, analysis, or program administration duties; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of the Sustainability field.
- Demonstrated skill and experience collecting and analyzing data; creating spreadsheets and reports using software applications; utilizing email messaging and automated calendaring systems; independently drafting reports and memos that are grammatically and punctually correct; and conducting basic training on sustainability administrative procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently with attention to detail; use discretion in managing confidential information; work beyond the standard workday, including nights and weekends, for deadlines, educational and outreach programs, and special events; work effectively as a member of a team, and collaborate with the campus community in order to achieve operational results; implement sustainability strategies to deliver high quality, professional, and responsive services that meet and exceed customer requirements; work independently, prioritize and organize workflow, and coordinate activities; communicate and interact effectively with a diverse group of campus constituents to promote sustainability initiatives; analyze situations and recommend resolutions to problems within the scope of responsibility to achieve optimal results; and model and promote the University’s principles of community and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Two years experience performing sustainability research, analysis, or program administration duties.
- Experience working in a research university setting or equivalent institution of higher education. Skill and experience with community-based social marketing.
How to Apply
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview Apply Here